CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating? >

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Notices

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

I am a 55+ yr old guy who has owned two boats for a total of 8 years. My last boat was a 24 ft. Now, after having the snot beat out of me when the wind comes up at Lake Tahoe, and other lakes, I decided to buy a bigger performance boat. Nothing more dull than a boat that simply cannot perform... Only problem is, that I have been trying to get insurance on the boat I just bought and good grief, every insurance agent is telling me how dangerous CATS are - not to mention that I have been turned down by about 10 companies ( Stacy just got me insurance at what I think is a reasonable rate.). I have even had a boat dealer tell me this too. Everyone seems concerned that a motor will blow at speed and the boat will have a corner dip and then flip killing all aboard. Yet, the prop will free wheel if the motor stops! Are CATs that much more dangerous? Any stories of what can go wrong to give me a heads up? Also, my new ride is a 1995 31 ft SXT CAT with two 600 hp 502's in it.

Rick

Last edited by TahoeRick; 12-29-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I am a 55+ yr old guy who has owned two boats for a total of 8 years. My last boat was a 24 ft. Now, after having the snot beat out of me when the wind comes up at Lake Tahoe, and other lakes, I decided to buy a bigger performance boat. Nothing more dull than a boat that simply cannot perform... Only problem is, that I have been trying to get insurance on the boat I just bought and god grief, every insurance agent is telling me how dangerous CATS are - not to mention that I have been truned down by about 10 companies ( Stacy just got me insurance at what I think is a reasonable rate.). I have even had a boat dealer tell me this too. Everyone seems concerned that a motor will blow at speed and the boat will have a corner dip and then flip killing all aboard. Yet, the prop will free wheel if the motor stops! Are CATs that much more dangerous? Any stories of what can go wrong to give me a heads up? Also, my new ride is a 1995 31 ft SXT CAT with two 600 hp 502's in it.

Rick
Sir NO ,a well designed Cat will never hurt you or beat you.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I would say the danger, from the underwriters perspective, is the inherent speed increase that cats have.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I would say the danger, from the underwriters perspective, is the inherent speed increase that cats have.
Does this infer that V Hulls and Cats are similiarly safe at the same speed?

Rick
Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Probably would be good to do some searches on this site regarding insurance, cats, driver training etc.
Unfortunatly there have been some major accidents involving cats and the insurance industry has put some serious pricing on insurance.
As it was suggested on the other thread you should consider a drivers course.
ed
Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

I feel safer in a cat...
Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Probably would be good to do some searches on this site regarding insurance, cats, driver training etc.
Unfortunatly there have been some major accidents involving cats and the insurance industry has put some serious pricing on insurance.
As it was suggested on the other thread you should consider a drivers course.
ed
I don't have a problem with a boaters course, I would like to take one of an advanced level. Up to now, I had to learn on my own. If they have a respectible one in my area and it is not thousands of dollars, I would be interested. I have been researching a LOT in the past couple of weeks insurance, but not driver training.

But, back to the subject at hand, what causes CATS to have an accident more than V hulls? Is speed the only cause? Or, are they inherently more likely to have an accident when hitting freak wave and landing bad, or when something mechanical grenades? I want to be accutely aware of what causes accidents in the type of boat I just purchased. I plan on many outings with friends and family in it and want to be aware of their limitations and faults.

As a positive note, eveyrone has told me that cats have an inherently more stable ride in rough water than V Hulls.

I do know that turning them is very weird - they lean the opposite direction - so I should go slow when turning and practice turning at various increasing speeds to get used to how this boat turns.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I don't have a problem with a boaters course, I would like to take one of an advanced level. Up to now, I had to learn on my own. If they have a respectible one in my area and it is not thousands of dollars, I would be interested. I have been researching a LOT in the past couple of weeks insurance, but not driver training.

But, back to the subject at hand, what causes CATS to have an accident more than V hulls? Is speed the only cause? Or, are they inherently more likely to have an accident when hitting freak wave and landing bad, or when something mechanical grenades? I want to be accutely aware of what causes accidents in the type of boat I just purchased. I plan on many outings with friends and family in it and want to be aware of their limitations and faults.

As a positive note, eveyrone has told me that cats have an inherently more stable ride in rough water than V Hulls.

I do know that turning them is very weird - they lean the opposite direction - so I should go slow when turning and practice turning at various increasing speeds to get used to how this boat turns.
Take the Tres Martin class, it is well worth it and you can save on insurance. Yes it is expensive but i have yet to hear of anyone that took the class and didn't learn a lot or thought it was a waste of money.
How you setup your cat before you go into a turn makes a big difference not just speed.
A twin step boat and cat have a lot in common and as such are more likely to have you wondering how the hell did i end up in the water when i was only doing XXXX.

Cats are more stable if it is not to rough, again it depends on how you are running the boat , when it gets real rough then the V has the advantage.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, That cat will never hurt you. Just be logical. The speeds that you or I run are simply not fast enough to be concerned. Just get to know the boat and enjoy it. I always tell everyone that my boat is faster than myself, meaning that I chose not to drive it faster than I am comfortable in whatever situation or conditions.I also am 55 and have owned cats for the past 12 years. I like everything about a cat except the insurance rates. Good luck and enjoy. Doug
Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

One quick little story which means nothing, but...

Was running flat out in my Spectre 30/Twin 300 Merc combo a few years ago. 97mph.

The right motor's driveshaft broke.

Nothing happened except the water pressure horn went off and the boat slowed down.

And I spent $$$$ getting it fixed.

I think "cats" are fantastic.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.