could this be a raceboat??? >

could this be a raceboat???

Notices

could this be a raceboat???

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could this be a raceboat???

I saw a local ad this weekend for an offshore speed boat w/ one blown engine on an aluminum trailer for sale pretty cheap, he thought it was a Scarab.
Called him this morning and said I'd stop by because it was only about 20 miles out of my way to Houston to go to the annual boat show.
When I get there it was definitely not a Wellcraft, it looked more like an older offshore dual outboard racing boat w/Florida registration way expired.
I looked at the HIN and am thinking it's a Seahawk 28.
The motors are EFI 2.5 offshore V-6 2-stroke outboards. I remember these outboards being wicked fast and able to run hours on end at max rpm. The powerhead on the starboard side grenaded bigtime blowing the starter completely off and completely destroying the crankcase walls beneath the cylinders and the fuel/air channels leading to the cylinder intake ports.
Here are some pic's

You can see where the starter blasted the engine cover like a Nolan Ryan fastball.
The HIN# starts with SBQ2800xxxxx
I know I've seen where some members research a hull and determine who the Mfg is but I don't know the website.
The classic paint job which reminds me of our "Pimp of the Nation" shows like a quickie paint job for an offshore racer.
Talking with the seller I may be able to trade him some dirt bikes for the unit.
I'm curious, are these outboards going to be counter rotating (I forgot to look at the props) and any ideas about the boat?
I'm fixing to Google the outboards for parts availability, surely Mercury will still have NOS parts on these two strokes.

Funny thing is I thought I remembered Seahawk as a front for offshore drug running and that they'd gone out of business or had their assets seized by the Federal Gov't 20 years ago or more.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was built by Miami Offshore Powerboats. The address was 2950 NE 188th Street, N. Miami Beach, Fl.

Probably a high rise condo complex today.........like the rest of the street.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The classic paint job which reminds me of our "Pimp of the Nation" shows like a quickie paint job for an offshore racer."

Cut him some slack guys - i think he gets it!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where is it?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
where is it?
Houston TX

If you'd like it I can put you in touch with him.
I'd trade him some dirtbikes for the boat and trailer but I really don't see me throwing any coin his direction.
The boat is a bit rough but my son and I searched every square inch of the hull for impacts, stress cracks, and delam, we found 2 little scratches and a couple of scrapes up the rise of the bow. It does have a classic Deep V carrying way towards the back. It just had that look of a former racer. He said the other motor still runs fine. I'd score it for fun and drop more money on repairs or replacement of the outboard than the bikes I rebuilt trading for the boat and trailer.
Right now they're not selling either.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Registered

I live in Beaumont and currently finishing up on a 81 30' Scarab Type S looking for a new project, can you tell me how cheap and the guys contact info?

Thanks,
Cliff
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 AM
Registered

Try Scream and Fly for outboard parts. 2.5 gear change is in the lower unit Props should be rh, lh. Better off buying a drop on power head if it's grenaded. These motors are a blast but can be high maint.

Last edited by ciaoderhead; 01-11-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

That IS A Seahawk, Maybe wasn't built by them but it is from thier Mold. The Chine is a dead give away.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

This WAS Gary Ballough's pleasure boat at one time. It IS a 28' Seahawk.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CignificantOther
It was built by Miami Offshore Powerboats. The address was 2950 NE 188th Street, N. Miami Beach, Fl.

Probably a high rise condo complex today.........like the rest of the street.
Built by Al, the guy who bought all the Seahawk molds and the 24 and 27' Squadron Molds as well. He had an open field across the street from the fort on 188.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.