Navigation lights question >

Navigation lights question

Notices

Navigation lights question

Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation lights question

Maybe someone could help me trying to wire my navigation lights to my panel . one switch is labeled anchor lights and the other switch is labeled navigation lights . Both switches are single pole switches . the anchor light has two bulbs . The boat also has a bow and stern light . I have no problem wiring the running light up to the switch but when i turn the anchor light on both bulbs should light up but i can only get one half the anchor light to work. On the anchor light it has three wires a ground and two hots or one for the back bulb and one wire for the front bulb . is this even possible .
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure I understand completely, but I'll give it a shot...

It almost seems like maybe it's set up to provide a 360* light at anchor and only 135* rearward facing light when used in the running position?

You could wire the rear bulb only to come on with the NAV switch, and wire both bulbs to the ANCHOR switch. You will want to be acrefull how you wire it, or it may send voltage through the NAV side when the ANCHOR switch is on, illuminating all the lights.

Does this make any Sense?

Have any Pics?

Last edited by RT930turbo; 01-28-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure what you are asking, but my guess is the light is designed for running where you need 270 degree light and anchor where you need 360 degree. If you want that light to be 360 just splice the two hot leads togetother so both bulbs are on with that switch.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
You could wire the rear bulb only to come on with the NAV switch, and wire both bulbs to the ANCHOR switch. You will want to be acrefull how you wire it, or it may send voltage through the NAV side when the ANCHOR switch is on, illuminating all the lights.

Toss a diode in there.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Toss a diode in there.
That would do it
Old 01-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered

You have to put a diode of correct amperage in the wire that comes off the NAV LITE switch going to forward lite on the masthead lite.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

arte thats the problem i am having it is sending the voltage thru everything when i only want the two bulbs on the anchor light to come . all the running lights come on too . so i need a diode in there not really familiar how that work or how will that help
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The diode will keep the voltage from backfeeding into the navlights. You will need approximately one that will carry 5amps or so. Be careful also that they are polarity sensitve. There is an arrow and line on the diode. The arrow will pass voltage in the direction it is pointing but block voltage the other way when present on the other side. Like when the anchor light is on it will keep the nav lights off. You may be able to find one a Radio Shack. Make sure when you install it the leads are protected with heat shrink or something, If they are bare and touch gnd it will blow the fuse for the nav lights.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you'll need 2 diodes:

Bow light to NAV switch.

FWD bulb of stern light to ANC switch.

Rear bulb of stern light to both switches, BUT a 'Y ' made with 2 diodes. The ends twisted and connected to the wire from bulb, with the 2 remaining diode legs going to each switch.

Not sure on diode direction, or if drawn correct. If it doesn't work, just turn them around. Someone else can clarify the orientation.

Etcho Sketch drawing

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered

Thanks guys this will work .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.