Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First "real" powerboat...advise? >

First "real" powerboat...advise?

Notices

First "real" powerboat...advise?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First "real" powerboat...advise?

Hopefully this is the right place to ask, if not point me in the right direction.

Grew up along Lake Erie, dad and family have always had a boat at one time or another, but nothing performance oriented. I had a 20' Trophy center console with a 175 Mercury o/b; had it for 4 seasons and sold it last October- time to get something bigger to handle; well, ANY waves better, and something with a cabin. I had a great time with that boat and learned a lot; made plenty of trips to Put in Bay and Kellys Island!

I'm looking for something in the 25' - 28' range, with a single big block or dual o/b's. Plenty of marina's around here, but the ramp is 10min away and there's a F350 sitting idle in my driveway. My boats of choice after lots of searching are 25' Outlaw, 27' Fever, Velocity 260, Active Thunder 25'. Certainly open to others, but those are really what's been catching my eyes. I don't expect a perfect boat on my limited budget, but I don't like buying problems. Have been looking at early 90's up to early 2000's. Would be just as happy with reliable stock EFI power as I would be with a wild motor. At least to start I've done enough research to know a few of the generalizations are that the Fountain has smaller cabin space vs the rest, Outlaws are nice but common, Velocitys are a fast hull with equal power, and AT's are a better ride in rougher water plus more cabin room which I like.... all are good quality in general.

So I'm a 30 year old single guy with a house and an excellent credit rating. Genrally speaking, about what does insurance tend to go for, and what sort of loan terms have you seen? Next month it's time to get serious and I'm trying to have my ducks in a row so to speak.

Appreciate any help or advise you can give!! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You came to the right place. There will be lots of advice given here!

I can give you my sequence: 19' 40hp O/B, to 21' Formula 350 small block, to 24' Formula small block, to 33' Baja twin big block, to 42 Fountain twin 525. From 20' you could easily go to a 23-24' single BB and if happy with the handling and performance move up from there. Cobalt, Sea Ray, and Baja all make good semi-performance models in that size range, with Baja also making several true entry level performance models. We loved our 33' Baja and kept it for 3 years. But it would not have been an easy move from the 19 footer.

I have a friend with a beautiful mint condition 2007 Baja 23 Outlaw single BB in perfect condition that is extremely easy to handle yet easily goes 70 mph. PM me if interested. He is ready to sell it to move up to a 33.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to me there was a 25 Active Thunder that just popped up in Ohio for a reasonable price, that would be my choice out of your list. Older boat you are prob looking at 5-8 year loan max, possibly 10 if your bank will do it. Insurance will depend, prob in the 5-700 a year range if you dont have any tickets, maybe less if you can put it on your homeowners as a rider.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Take a look at this one

http://www.teamshogren.com/pre-owned...ger-cuddy.html
Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

This one was mentioned in another thread.

Might be worth looking at....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o37720-en.html
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Seems to me there was a 25 Active Thunder that just popped up in Ohio for a reasonable price, that would be my choice out of your list. Older boat you are prob looking at 5-8 year loan max, possibly 10 if your bank will do it. Insurance will depend, prob in the 5-700 a year range if you dont have any tickets, maybe less if you can put it on your homeowners as a rider.

Yep; he's about 2.5 hours away and we've already been in contact! Amazing how small the world is. I'd throw down cabbage on that boat in a heartbeat, but I'm not expecting it to wait for me. I don't mind making a road trip, but that boat being so close is like dangling raw meat in front of my Husky!

The reason I am looking for 25' and up and not 24' is that I've seen a lot of 24' Outlaws (which I have nothing against) have more of a step-down-in type cabin, which I'd like to stay away from if possible. I'm trying to balance enough bada$$ with being somewhat practical and think the 25' range will suit me more than fine without jumping into TOO much boat all at once.

Oh by the way; thanks for your help!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! All of those are good choices. I must say the 27 fever is one of the best 25 foot boats ever built! (Just a joke - you'll get used to it if you buy one.)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MetlShpr
Yep; he's about 2.5 hours away and we've already been in contact! Amazing how small the world is. I'd throw down cabbage on that boat in a heartbeat, but I'm not expecting it to wait for me. I don't mind making a road trip, but that boat being so close is like dangling raw meat in front of my Husky!

The reason I am looking for 25' and up and not 24' is that I've seen a lot of 24' Outlaws (which I have nothing against) have more of a step-down-in type cabin, which I'd like to stay away from if possible. I'm trying to balance enough bada$$ with being somewhat practical and think the 25' range will suit me more than fine without jumping into TOO much boat all at once.

Oh by the way; thanks for your help!
Then there is another boat you should not pass up a good deal on: Formula 271. These are beautiful, fast stepped hulls that are solid as a rock. We almost got one instead of the 24 but didn't have the "cabbage " at the time.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might find one here;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...b177_0-en.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.