Notices

Octane levels...??

Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to smell some bad gas you should be around Seltzer more often!!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James
I will dig up the manufactuer of the machine, I believe the cost was $ 12,000.00 or so.

Rumor mill was very strong leading me to believe that Ethanol made gas go bad and the result was reduced Octane. I had several engine failures, so rather than buy more engines I tested fuel.

The only guys that really care about Octane are the aircraft and boat owners, a car on the track with 14:1 is already buy fuel, and he is only buring 20 gallons so cost and availibility is not an issue. FAA has very few rules regarding the age of gasoline, of course purge and check for water before climbing in.

I was so sure someone was trying to screw me selling me "bad" gas that I purchased this machine. Fact is that I have yet to find any gas that is less than advertized Octane. I have gone to some gas stations where a second person has to watch your back while fueling, and still the fuel is as advertized.

I have looked for and found old lawn mowers, gas smells foul, but the octane is 87 +, of course I do not know what or when the fuel was put in the tank, nor to I believe that any equipment would run with this old gas, but the octane is ok.

To get a good pump test I pre-purge the fuel line, pump 4 gallons through the pump into the car, then fill a 1 gallon container for testing to help insure I'm getting the gas paid for and not fuel left in the line from the previous use.

Lessons learned -
So what was blowing your motors if the octane was good?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
If you want to smell some bad gas you should be around Seltzer more often!!
Funny, I knew a post like this was coming. lol
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Previous engine problems appears to have been as a result of a simplification and modification I made to the boat. I removed the throttles and installed a green "GO" button, that was not the problem the "stop" button was wired incorrectly. I have since reinstalled the throttles and the problem has gone away

I did once check Seltzer for octane, results came back as "90 proof"..........and he did smell
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James
Previous engine problems appears to have been as a result of a simplification and modification I made to the boat. I removed the throttles and installed a green "GO" button, that was not the problem the "stop" button was wired incorrectly. I have since reinstalled the throttles and the problem has gone away

I did once check Seltzer for octane, results came back as "90 proof"..........and he did smell

MON or RON?

Jeff