Oil pump for oil changes?? >

Oil pump for oil changes??

Notices

Oil pump for oil changes??

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump for oil changes??

Any suggestions on oil pumps for oil changes, I once had the drill pump and that was a joke!! Been looking at the ones from overtons that are electric diaphram type with 3.5 gal capacity. I want to buy a nice one! Thanks for any info!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 290enticer
Any suggestions on oil pumps for oil changes, I once had the drill pump and that was a joke!! Been looking at the ones from overtons that are electric diaphram type with 3.5 gal capacity. I want to buy a nice one! Thanks for any info!
The vacuum pumps work fine. They take 10-15 minutes longer than the electric pumps, but they do a fine job.

Just spend at least $40-50 on one. The $20 jobs don't seem to work well.

This is the one that I use:
http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pro...oduct%20search

It takes about 20 min. per motor, and I have to pump it about 3 separate times to finish the job, but it works well.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered

i bought one with the 12v electric pump takes 2 or 3 mins to remove oil has a switch to reverse flow for disposal it was around 100 bucks. makes oil changes somewhat enjoyable.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use this one, http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/PEL...LAID=662761908 works well, found it works best if you use the dipstick tube as part of the suction line instead of sticking the smaller tube into the dipstick. Sucks out 11 qts in 15min.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought a small 12v utilty pump from Harbor Freight for $30 or there abouts, works like a charm. Connected to an oil drain plug hose and can pull the oil out in a min. when warm. Mount it to the lid of 5 gal bucket, with the outlet discharging into the bucket. When full, just remove the lid and pour it out. No mess.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-02-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

us1 fountain....are you pulling it out the dip stick tube?? do you have to prime this pump?? Overtons had one but it had to be primed or it would just burn up.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I originaly tried that, but it took 10 min or so because I used a small tube to go inside the dipstick, which made for a very small ID. Worked great when tested with water. Pump got really hot trying to pull oil thru that small of a hole. So that setup was scrapped. A buddy had the 5 gal setup and has been using it for yrs with no problem, so I'm coping it. Never have had to prime mine yet, (lack of use?)but my buddy has his a couple times. But if that ever arises, I'll just pour some water or oil in the hose to prime it. Mine has the vanes that move outwards with centrifrigal force, so more likely to stick if not used enough. Hense the cheaper price, but for 1-2 times a yr use, I'm ok with that. The rubber impellor pump type should work no different than your seawater pump and not need primed.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-02-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

The electric impeller style pumps, in my experience, SUCK. If you run them dry for more than 30 seconds or so the impeller is shot. I was buying decent quality pumps too (pumping water with them). Maybe the ones built for oil or other fluids work better?

Pstorti - If I had high capacity oil pans I would have definitely gotten that system. It's a nice set-up and worth it if you do more than a few oil changes a year, or if you have an oil capacity of more than 8 qts.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered

Just don't get this style:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E-Z-O...item35af273262

Or this style:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4&ci_sku=93490

Or you'll be pumping till your arms wear out... Kind of like putting drive lube in with the hand pump...
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

us1 fountain, I just got off of harbor freight site and found a marine utility pump for about 30 bucks, seems to be the same as the other system out there, vane pump, self priming....Even has mounting tabs so i can mount on top of 5 gallon bucket. I'll probably go that route and make my own. Should work just fine for one oil change a year!! Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.