Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions. >

Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well I finally got the cranes here last week to move around a bunch of stuff and plan on finally breaking ground on my shop in march (unless something gets in the way). I have a few questions

1) I want to build my shop large enough that I could expand to a 38. My trailer now is 37 Feet long so I had figured on building the shop 42 ft deep. How large would a 38 top gun, sonic, etc with trailer typically be?

2) How wide are you guys making your doors? I originally quoted a 14ft wide by 10ft tall door. Should that be sufficient?

3) How tall is tall enough on ceilings? My builder said it has to be atleast 2 ft over my door height. I wonder if 12ft is plenty high???

4) What floor coatings are you using on your floors? I want to apply a paint down floor to preserve the shop and make it look nice.

5) I am considering building a walk platform beside the boat like showrooms have to load coolers in and out of and for tools etc when working on it. Has anyone ever built one of these or purchased something similar?

FYI. this is a temporary shop at my place of business. I plan on using it for around 5 years and when we build on our land I will contruct a personal man cave and turn this over for company use. I am attempting to keep the cost of the building (minus concrete) below 10grand.

Last edited by FuelinAround; 01-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

My 38 w boxes and on the trailer better get close to 50ft.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

Yes. I am building a bay right now at 60 feet. Trailer & boat with outdrives and tongue stick out is approx 48feet, so 60' min is ideal. I would think 10' is minimum for door height, however, you can get away with 9.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the trailer for my 35' with a drive guard is 42' if I'm not mistaken.

And you want to have room to walk around it on both ends, so I would add another 5' if you have room.

As for height, I assume at some point you will be standing up in the boat while its in there, so be sure and plan for that. And if you ever need to pull a motor or two, you will need clearance for the hoist and motor.

In fact, even if that isn't something you plan to do, it wouldn't hurt to frame up a support sturdy enough that you could attach a hoist to pull a motor you wanted too. Easier to do so now than down the road.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered

Where is the shop going to be? If it's at your house there might be zoning laws on how big you can build. That being said if I was going to build I would want a min. 75 feet long 50 feet wide and 25 feet tall, 2 14x14 doors and lots of sky lights. That way no matter what boat you get you will be able to back in truck and trailer and shut the door.
I too would build a deck around the boat spot to make it easier to work on, I would have an I beam set in the ceiling so I can pull motors and set them on the ground. I would have air and water and elec. PSI washer with hookups every 20 feet or so.
You can never have too much garage space, it's in the MAN LAW hand book.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Radiant flooring
http://www.radiantcompany.com/
Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like somewhere around 50-55 will meet my need on length....
Old 01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stain the floor, paint peels.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
stain the floor, paint peels.
+1 or put down some adhesive tile...looks great, you can make any patten and color combo, put down as much area as you want and it's pretty darn durable. my doors are 12 wide and 10' high but i wish I would of went 12 or 14 tall.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Die the floor Ocean Blue, it will make the boat happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.