Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
anyone have a dyno that will handle high hp? >

anyone have a dyno that will handle high hp?

Notices

anyone have a dyno that will handle high hp?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
LOW hp stuff up to 1800hp? It will be interesting to see what you are building!
yep, going to be the most interesting engine to hit the performance boating world since paddle boats were powered by steam...

hopefully i will have it on display at the boat show.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Tyson what about some of the turbine guys?
i have called a few places that dyno turbine engines, most of them use eddy current dynos so they make money back on the electricity or they have a big airplane prop they use to put the load on it, but they are not usually set up with egt and o2 sensors that would work. we could take all that but would be a hassle... and mounting it to there stand..

my engine will bolt where a big block will with the same bolt pattern on the back with the flex plate at the same location as a big block so i really need to find a normal engine dyno.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

[QUOTE=thumper038;3318232]Ours is rated to 2000 hp on the box but the manufacture said they have tested to 2500 hp with no issue
Mr. Fixx
I disagree to a point on the waterbrake not being accurate/slipping.I know you said most

Regular calibration and proper dyno room set up is crucial to the end result.
Crap in = Crap out, as with anything.
QUOTE]

What are your error bars then? jk
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat

we are looking for someone with a dual stuka? or dual land and sea.
Someone say tandem dyno?

Heres a setup I did for the Nascar boys. Dual eddy current with the plan to split over two cells and join with an AC to give motoring capabilities at a later date.

As for accuracy of the water brakes...lets just say they have their place for certain applications but no where near an EC or AC. They were amazed by the results of this setup.

This project was especially challenging as they wanted to run the full car exhaust (without modification) which crossed from one side to the other BEFORE the dyno, requiring the motor to be pushed forward. The harmonics of a pushrod, high rotating mass V8 spinning at 10,000rpm 2' from the dyno was a bit of bear to manage lol

No where near the power requirements needed here, but figured I'd show a sampling of whats being done out there. Can't wait to see this engine at the show next week if it makes it. Keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails anyone have a dyno that will handle high hp?-nascar_install1_comp.jpg  

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 02-08-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Someone say tandem dyno?

Heres a setup I did for the Nascar boys. Dual eddy current with the plan to split over two cells and join with an AC to give motoring capabilities at a later date.

As for accuracy of the water brakes...lets just say they have their place for certain applications but no where near an EC or AC. They were amazed by the results of this setup.

This project was especially challenging as they wanted to run the full car exhaust (without modification) which crossed from one side to the other BEFORE the dyno, requiring the motor to be pushed forward. The harmonics of a pushrod, high rotating mass V8 spinning at 10,000rpm 2' from the dyno was a bit of bear to manage lol

No where near the power requirements needed here, but figured I'd show a sampling of whats being done out there. Can't wait to see this engine at the show next week if it makes it. Keep us posted.
that is definatly a nice setup... someone needs to build something like that and build a bar (drinks and bartender) around it and guys could come and have a drink and watch engines be dynoed....
Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Tyson, I have a dual rotor Stuska, and more importantly I have a 2" city water supply to feed my 1500 gal tank. Problem is we have not finished setting it up (we recently moved it). If you want to tinker you are welcome to have at it. I have the Land & Sea load control & data acquisition, only 8 egt's however. There are a couple of other things also, call me if you want.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Registered

that is definatly a nice setup... someone needs to build something like that and build a bar (drinks and bartender) around it and guys could come and have a drink and watch engines be dynoed....
I like the way you think! I'll have to add then into my next quote

If anyone is looking to upgrade to an EC or AC dyno or even just the data acquisition and control system I'd be glad to help. Very important for proper ECU calibration and emission/certification work. Plan was to put our system overtop a few Superflows to have a common system in the facility so control of water brakes is not a problem (16 PID loops come standard ) Also have some systems in the aerospace field so turbine test cells wont be problem either.

Be sure to take video of your latest creation!!!!

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 02-08-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=J-Bonz;3318950]
Originally Posted by thumper038
Ours is rated to 2000 hp on the box but the manufacture said they have tested to 2500 hp with no issue
Mr. Fixx
I disagree to a point on the waterbrake not being accurate/slipping.I know you said most

Regular calibration and proper dyno room set up is crucial to the end result.
Crap in = Crap out, as with anything.
QUOTE]

What are your error bars then? jk
Hey JK,
You will have to explain your interpitation of error bars so I understand the question?
Error bars not normally used for different engine combo's that I am aware of?
How do you know you have "error" in your data? Experiments always produce slightly different results because of chance variation. When you do a percent error calculation, you are comparing a predicted value (like from a mathematical model) with an empirical value. It doesn't make sense to find the error in a data set if you don't have anything to compare it to.
Torque is actual in the room from a strain guage that is calibrated on regular schedule.
Correction is Newer Standard SAE J1349 Not the older J607
Hope this awnsers some of it?
Thank's Jim

Last edited by thumper038; 02-08-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Type o
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

we have the same dyno you are talking about and it will not hold anywhere close to 2000 hp.. they told us 2000 also but i can tell you it wont.

ours could not handle much till we made alot of modifications to it to make it not slip.

and slipping does not make it read wrong anyways just makes it so you cannot slow the engine down, it works on load against a cell not inertia which would read wrong if it sliped.

we are looking for someone with a dual stuka? or dual land and sea.

and it would help if it had 12 egt's
They also said I could not buy a pump too big but dam well did, not the one they said in Grainger, O no I found a Bell and Gosset subdivision pump 15 hp 3 phase and had to purchase a $1200.00 Watts regulator to trim it down or it bogged the engines down as the auto load opened !!!
Good luck
Jim
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Someone say tandem dyno?

Dam thats nice Neil
Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.