Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Marathon/Ft Myers racing report (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24725-marathon-ft-myers-racing-report.html)

shifter 05-19-2002 10:08 PM

Marathon/Ft Myers racing report

Can anyone out there do a report of the actual races not just the results? It doesn't matter what class just a breif description of the racing start to finish. I might be the only one who cares but thats hard to believe.
Thanks in advance.
pat W

BODYSHOT1 05-19-2002 10:19 PM

..can't seem to get any information tonite!! :rolleyes:

VinMan 05-19-2002 10:42 PM

Mabye the Fort Meyers race was just a dream!! :rolleyes:
Someone out here has to have some info on it?????

NIT2WIN 05-19-2002 10:59 PM

Well one things for sure, if Preistley had won we would ALL know it by now.:p

Mike J 05-19-2002 11:18 PM

HOOK running 1st in class
till last lap ????? finished 2nd.
Mike J.

DaveP 05-19-2002 11:29 PM

Just in off the wire:

Jason Priestly's boat fell from the crane as it was being launched. (yes this is true)

(Now for the not so true:p )

There was a pair of cable cutters found near the site of the incident with another race team logo on them. Some people said that there was a short guy with a heavy TN accent and a taller guy with a MD accent laughing running away from the scene yelling "ain't gonna get us this time TV Star!" :p :p :D :D

NIT2WIN 05-19-2002 11:37 PM

You know there's something to be said about "KARMA" ;)

Phknlwyr 05-19-2002 11:53 PM

From the 7 Mile Bridge, the details of the Super Cat race(briefly) are as follows:

The track was set up like the letter "P". The race started at the top left of the P, raced down a long stretch, made a sharp turn left 180 degrees, then a right, a left, a left, and a left. The 7 Mile bridge was closest to the straight away after the first left, following the only right hander. (Is that confusing enough?)

The race started out with Drambuie leading the pack. Tommy Bahama and WHM were close behind. Spirit of Puerto Rico lost it in the second lap (?) in the first left turn after the loooong first straight. Up to this point, Drambuie was well in front of the other Super Cats. The race went full course yellow as a result of the Spirit of Pueto Rico's wipe out. Apparently, the racers were told at the driver's meeting that in the event of a full course yellow they would re-start at a specific point. At the restart, allegedly not at the prescribed point told at the driver's meeting, Tommy Bahama took the lead with WHM right behind. Drambuie was left in their wakes. Tommy was running very smoothly and very fast. Around the fifth lap, Tommy's engine pooped out. WHM took the lead and was cruising. Drambuie finally caught up to WHM on the last lap, after the only right hand turn, just prior to the start finish line. At the left turn immediately following the right hander (remember the "P") WHM swung wide, pushing Drambuie out towards the 7 mile bridge and the two gunned their throttles to the finish line with WHM winning by a second or two. It was very close and very exciting.

The only other race worth noting (that I saw) was In M'Ocean who ran away from the pack in their class. No one was even close!

Oh, for you hockey/boating fans, defensive masters Kevin Hatcher and his brother Darien own a Cigarette Gladiator racing team. They were in attendance in Marathon. Unfortunately, their boat finished second to last in F-2. Great guys though!! Look forward to watching them succeed on melted water as well as they did on the frozen stuff.

Oh, for the Board's teeny bopper crown, Nick Carter was at the race.

Phknlwyr 05-20-2002 12:35 AM

I spent too much time at the Donzi party last night watching the Donzi girls entertain. I missed the F-2 races this morning. I do know that they - team Hatcher - only finished second to last because one boat was a DNF due to engine problems. The water was flat out there today, conditions that are great for the Glad. Who knows what happened.