Notices

Buying a winter boat.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a winter boat.

How would you go about purchasing a boat from a private party during winter ? I would like a survey and on water demo ride before buying but most boats are in storage during this time of year. If I wait for better weather some one els e may snatch it up not caring about the demo? Am I being to practical here?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smoker62
How would you go about purchasing a boat from a private party during winter ? I would like a survey and on water demo ride before buying but most boats are in storage during this time of year. If I wait for better weather some one els e may snatch it up not caring about the demo? Am I being to practical here?
If you haven an agreed upon price, have the guy unwrap the boat, de-winterize, and go for the ride. If you're going down and hiring a surveyor ($$$), it shows your commitment to the boat. As long as there no ice, bring a hat, goggles, and a warm coat to your water demo
Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
If you haven an agreed upon price, have the guy unwrap the boat, de-winterize, and go for the ride. If you're going down and hiring a surveyor ($$$), it shows your commitment to the boat. As long as there no ice, bring a hat, goggles, and a warm coat to your water demo
What if the motor is on the shelf ?? I dont need no stinkin hat , I still have hair and I am from WI. Besides I am looking for a boat fast enough to blow a hat off , you know of any?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

1) Put a significant (refundable) deposit on the boat that gets your first right of refusal upon successful sea trial in the spring/when it's together.

or

2) Agree on a price which is caveat emptor and take it home tomorrow, pieces and all.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I was sellig mine now, it'd be the 1st one with the cash. If you want to chance it and wait till spring, that's your call, but as a seller, the cash in hand now talks.
You know it is winter time, the motor is not installed. Can't expect a seller to hold on to it till spring if another buyer comes along willing to buy it now.

IMO, The refundabale deposit thing is fine when a week or 2 is the time frame, not months.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
If I was sellig mine now, it'd be the 1st one with the cash. If you want to chance it and wait till spring, that's your call, but as a seller, the cash in hand now talks.
You know it is winter time, the motor is not installed. Can't expect a seller to hold on to it till spring if another buyer comes along willing to buy it now.

IMO, The refundabale deposit thing is fine when a week or 2 is the time frame, not months.
I have no problem with a seller taking the first cash deal. I would do the same. I also would not expect a seller to hold on to anything until spring waiting for me. Thats why I asked what you all would do.

I am not a buyer who will ante up without, at a minimum , a survey, and quite frankly a water test. Just wanted the general consensus on if you more experienced performance boaters think on water tests are a must. I can wait for another boat when water testing is a reality for the seller. There are more for sale every day .
Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand your reasoning wanting to know full well what your are buying. I'm just pointing out from a sellers point of view. I have to assume if the guy has this boat listed for sale now, he is willing to sell it now as is, otherwise he'd hold out till spring when he can be more accomodating to list it.
Kinda makes you weigh your options if its 'the' boat.

Good luck

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-09-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

I understand your reasoning wanting to know full well what your are buying. I'm just pointing out from a sellers point of view. I have to assume if the guy has this boat listed for sale now, he is willing to sell it now as is, otherwise he'd hold out till spring when he can be more accomodating to list it.

Good luck
Understood, appreciate the input.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Sorry for the deleted posts. My computer is freezing and double posting . I feel a crash coming on,
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Good luck
Agreed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.