Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Better Now than at LOTO (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24733-better-now-than-loto.html)

Griff 05-20-2002 12:20 AM

Better Now than at LOTO

Put the Pantera in the water today so I could check out a hub on the trailer that was getting hot.
No problem, pulled the hub and had a bearing getting bad. Replaced the bearings and seal without a problem and got a couple spare sets just in case.

Ready to pull the boat out and figured I go take a quick cruise up the river. Fire the boat up and let it warm up for few minutes while I move the truck and trailer down by the ramp. Head out of the marina and get on plane. No problems. Cruising at 3500rpms and then go up to WOT. At WOT for maybe 20 seconds and running at 5100rpms. Everthing seems perfect. At 21 seconds.........boat jerks and slows. CHIT!!!!! Yank the throttle back and here the grinding. Say good bye to the Bravo Drive. Luckily I was only a mile up river from my marina and there were a few boats out. One was nice enough to tow me in and keep me from floating to KC.

Got the boat on the trailer and see splattered Merc lube on the transom and some metal shavings on top of the drive. This is NOT good. Got the boat home and pulled the top cap, Bearings and gears are trashed.

I guess its a good thing that I haven't sold the Baja yet. At least I have a back up for LOTO this weekend. Although I'm not real happy about it.:( :(

Got a lot of options depending on what I found out tomorrow after some phone calls. Might even put the drive from the Baja on the Pantera. Just a little leary of putting a 450hr drive on heavier boat with 100 more HP. Also gonna make a call to the Ins. Co. about that submerged log I hit.

I guess the only good thing is it happened now instead of on Friday 2 mins after I put the boat in at LOTO.

buck183 05-20-2002 02:01 AM

I like that! Submerged log...;)

Buck

eliminator219 05-20-2002 02:30 AM

Drive gone by by

Griff
Nice way to look at it, better now than later. however, is it just the gears and the bearings or did it get the case too? Cant you get it rebuilt in time? You might look in the classified on this board there may be a replacement close to you. anyway, sorry to hear of your problems and hope that you get back in the water soon!!:D :D

eliminator219

Katdrvr 05-20-2002 09:15 AM

Griff,

I saw your boat at the Marina, looks great. Too bad abut the drive. I was down at the marina Sat. morning to run the dogs and Jeff, the guy with the Carver cruiser said lets go for a ride. OK. Get just past the power plant and boom, the port engine lets go.

Maybe I won't put the cat in at Bellevue this year, sounds like the place is cursed.

So you at the lake.

mike

Von Bongo 05-20-2002 09:49 AM

Griff that sucks.. The drive off the Baja might be in as good a shape or better even with the hours, just depends on how they were both treated.

Kat...I ain't putting a boat in there until after we get back, can't risk it now!

Katdrvr 05-20-2002 10:08 AM

Von,

I don't blame you. Jeff had just put in new transmissions and an oil cooler and we were on a shakedown run. He is bumming big time.

mike

Griff 05-20-2002 05:43 PM

Good news!!!!! Got an Imco Extreme upper being overnighted and should have the Pantera back and ready for LOTO.

A BIG thanks to Marty at Midwest Performance Marine.

MnFastBoat 05-20-2002 05:52 PM

AWESOME

Always glad to hear good news!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D