Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Where did the "SBI Cheating" go? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24749-where-did-sbi-cheating-go.html)

DaveP 05-22-2002 08:26 AM

Welcome NYSpeeddemon to OSO.

As for motors in SBI......everyone knows I am not a fan of SBI or Mr. C who runs the show.

But, I will tell you in conversation with an SBI racer yesterday, one F-2 Boat in SBI is running 625+ per side and still could not catch the winning boats. SBI also has had a dyno for over a year and they still can't get it / or don't want it to work.

There is nothing wrong with racing with only 20 something boats at a race - at least make sure everyone in every class is evenly matched. Lap times & speeds don't lie.

DaveP 05-22-2002 08:28 AM

Hey Mike - don't love guys with ______ the size of peanuts that hide behind bogus names? Must be related to Pipeline05 :D :D

Hauling Trash 05-22-2002 08:33 AM

Dave

You got 800 post ???:D

SHARKEY-IMAGES 05-22-2002 10:26 AM

Mike, DaveP has been on a roll...er lately....:D :D :D

DaveP 05-22-2002 10:33 AM

my Zanex & Ritilin perscriptions ran out :D :D ;) ;)

NIT2WIN 05-22-2002 11:00 AM

PHKNLWYR

While normally I would agree with you, in this case the only thing that JP is guilty of is ignorance and trusting his T-man's ability to guide and teach him how to drive that boat. Campbell was and still is extremely irresponsible for letting Priestly get behind the wheel of that boat with no racing experience and no wheel time, unless of course you count spending an hour out on the flat waters of Biscayne Bay making ultra wide turns and going fast in a straight line as experience. It's bad enough that Campbell with his ego was looking to ride off the coattails of J.P.'s media attention, the least he could of done was formulate a game plan, i.e. stay on the outside of the course, stay away from the other boats, I want you to take nice, easy, wide turns until you get the feel of the boat underneath you. Isn't that what an experienced anybody is supposed to do with a rookie, much less one that has never been behind the wheel of anything more than a sailboat (that's what J.P. said in a T.V. interview) much less a Superboat? Even to this day Priestly has no extra wheel time in the boat. He just shows up at the race, gets in the boat and says, "lets go racing". I'm sure that the similarity of all the Superboat avg. lap speeds in the Ft. Myers race was no coincidence, Carbonell was probably smart enough to ask the other Superboat racers to slow it down a bit and make a show of it for the first 10-12 laps and then sprint it to the finish line. If this was the case (and I'm almost sure it was) then he should be commended for figuring out a way to keep everyone safe. Lord knows he can't trust Campbell anymore and has himself in a pickle if he wants to keep J.P. racing and who wouldn't with all the media exposure he is getting? As T2x stated that after 10 years it doesn't look as though Campbell is going to get any better. I can personally attest that his reaction time is getting slower and slower every season, he has no crew chief, the race team is made up of 2 employees (of which one is his nephew and lives with him) the rest are volunteers, no team uniforms, no corporate sponsors (they left when I left) Don't you think that J.P. deserves a better shot at racing?

NIT2WIN 05-22-2002 01:29 PM

answer to Rubens question

Ruben Bermuda was nice enough to ask me a question in regards to my experience in driving Superboats with rudder systems. I thought I would answer his question on this board so that I could educate anyone who had an interest. As you may or may not know the Jag that J.P. is driving has a fixed drive rudder system. This is very different than the conventional #6's you see on most boats. Obviously with the #6's you have better control and abilities especially when it comes into turns, the sacrifice for this is drag and sometimes speed. The 48' Jaguar was designed by Michael Peters of the European Tencara fame. Being that our last 46' Jag ran with Arneson surface drives this was a perfect fit. Because you only have one rudder controlling a 20,000 pound boat going at speeds in excess of 160 mph control was and is always an issue. This beast has a mind of its own and the best you can do is nurture it to where you want it to go. The turns are a completely different set of circumstances because unlike alot of the European boats that run with the same set up, this Jag has POWER STEERING so you cannot feel the turns in your arms, instead you must feel the turn with the seat of your pants and as you feel the boat starting to come out from underneath you, one can start to make the necessary adjustments. Making hard, fast turns takes alot of pratice, patience and experience as this is like nothing J.P.'s ever experienced before. From what I saw, it looked to me like Jason turned the boat like he did the day before in Biscayne bay making wide slow turns (Afterall, that's all he knew) The boat didn't react, Dan ran through Riviera's roostertail momentarily blinding the both of them with the wash and BAMM they ran into Pier 57. Could Dan have come off the throttles sooner? YES Could Dan have used the tunnel flap as a brake? YES Could Dan have buried the fixed drives into the water? YES Could Dan have kept J.P. to the outside in preparation for the turn? Yes Why didn't he? Well that's the problem. Was it blind faith or just plain stupidity? You be the judge!

snglestack 05-23-2002 07:28 PM

NIT2WIN GET OVER IT MAN AND MOVE ON:confused: :confused: :confused: