Notices

WTF is up with F2?

Old 05-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Roger
2 Things, First of all on Sunday before the race the Coast Guard made SBI move the corner bouys in because of the bad weather conditions, how much no-one knows, therefore the average results on speed do not jive with actual average speeds...
???? If the course was shortened, then the straights would be shorter as well, which would actually lower average speeds and lap times due to having more of the course as a turn and less as a straight-away. I don't believe that this effects the question of.

2nd why is it hard to believe that a v bottom boat can not run high 90's? After all the kilo record is 94 and with bigger steps, higher x's, lighter weights, prop technology, staggers, canopies, short lower units, can 100 MPH be far off. Reggies adds state 100 MPH in the 38 Competition Series and I understand that Mitch and Matt were running in the 95 plus range in Marathon.
It is NOT hard to believe that a Vee can run high 90s. It is however, hard to believe that an F2 can run high 100's. It is also hard to believe that an F2 can have a higher average speed than its 1500 HP sister ship. My F2 with Kevlar, Higher X, No Cabin, etc...is 15 to 20 MPH faster than a pure pleasure boat with the same power, I run neck and neck with my friends 32 Fever with 525SCs. These new F2s are 15 to 20 MPH faster than that! Most people that know me understand what happened and why it is that I hold NO respect for the Fountain factory teams and their racing etiquette, this is not a Fountain question (the boat I mentioned above was a Gladiator)...they build a decent boat, but, I feel bad that you have fallen for Reggie's Propaganda.

The original question was how was it that a F2 can drive by a SCLite? It was added to when the Superboat Vee lap speeds were revealed. I'm not bashing, I'm not accusing...I just want an legitimate answer.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Boat Girl

Rico- I know you want answers and I dont know if this helps, but the course in Ft. Myers was 6.75 miles...Can you pm me with specifics and maybe I can help, I would like to at least try and help...

Old 05-21-2002, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge

I just looked at the SBI stats.

The F2-15 boat had the above lap speeds for an average speed of 83.08 MPH.

The second place Super Vee (V1 Firewater) had lap speeds of...79.9, 81.5, 85.5, 85.2 with an average speed of 83.01. The first place SV was V2 Muscle that averaged 85.11.

Not only does that "jive" with 1100 HP...it jives with 14-1500 HP.

How can an F2 be faster than a Super Boat Vee?
Thats why they only had 20 something boats racing.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

Hey BoatGirl...I don't think a PM is necessary (but I can do it if you want ).

My question is simple and it really doesn't invlove the races specifically. How can 90+ MPH boats with 500HP engines, rev-limited to 5400 RPM, with stock drives with a 1:50 gear ratio, pick up 10+ MPH? The only way to do this is to get more of the boat out of the water to reduce drag, but this would, in my limited experience, only account for a 2 or 3 MPH difference (and also make the boat hard to control).

The only way that I can see this great of a speed difference would be to use a HUGE prop or have higher RPMs.

Maybe the new boats can spin 36" or higher props, but you are supposed to run stock props and in order to get that size prop for a Bravo, it would have to be worked which is not allowed.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:35 AM
Registered

I can't believe no one has an answer...back ttt!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:40 AM
Boat Girl

Hey Rico, just an idea, have you tried contacting SBI directly...or any of the F2 race teams just to chat, why not go right to the source...You might be suprised and get an answer...

Old 05-22-2002, 09:58 AM
Registered

I sent an email to SBI Monday...nothing yet. I was hoping that there were some people out there who might have some inside info. I know that NYSpeedDemon would like to know, there no use beating up your equipment if you have no chance to place. You may as well run a P class.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Registered

i guess the only question i have is....what would one do with that information??? if i was a fan i could care less! if i was a racer in that class i would only care what i am doing not what everyone else is....really,, i see no point what so ever...look at the rules of both orgs, investigate the class(s) and chose to race or not race...i would never spend 400k and then ask some people on a dissusion board if i'll be competetive or not....i never saw 1 post from the prez of donzi asking anyone??? do the work yourself if you want answers.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Registered

Boatgirl - Unless someone knows the race teams, do you honestly think they would tell someone they don't know...

"oh yeah - I'm running 650hp out of my 500hp!"

I don't think so.

Boatgirl - Did you ever ask DJD or Waterspeed about Reggie's boats in SBI? They raced F-2 and were one of the few teams that were 10000% legit.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally posted by audacity
i guess the only question i have is....what would one do with that information??? if i was a fan i could care less! if i was a racer in that class i would only care what i am doing not what everyone else is....really,, i see no point what so ever...look at the rules of both orgs, investigate the class(s) and chose to race or not race...i would never spend 400k and then ask some people on a dissusion board if i'll be competetive or not....i never saw 1 post from the prez of donzi asking anyone??? do the work yourself if you want answers.
Audacity, from seeing your posts for so long, I'm kind of shocked that you would respond in this manner. Sorry it seems like a dumb question to you...and I'm sure that the Prs. of Donzi would LOVE to know what those boats are doing, because if it is legal, it means that it can translate into their everyday designs and give them an advantage.

It also changes everything that people say about cats vs vees. It used to be that HP for HP the cat would spank a Vee everytime. It doesn't seem that way now.

I only spent 250K but I was competitive. I'm not going to race my own stuff anymore, I honestly can't afford it. But if I were still on the curcuit, I can tell you that I do things 100% by the book. The more I read throughout this discussion and others, the more I realize that in all probability, there is a whole bunch of "questionable" activity out there. I love boating and enjoy all the friends I've made on the curcuit, but I have no desire to have any part of that.

Quick Reply: WTF is up with F2?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.