Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Make Offer! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/247621-make-offer.html)

Ptufaro 02-16-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by LAriverratt (Post 3327804)
correct ran into that when I was buying...just let me know when you get desperate to move your MTI :drink::lolhit:

Not there yet but I'm sure it wont be long:picard1:

scottw 02-16-2011 07:32 PM

This doesn't really pertain to making a offer, but when buying a boat which is miles away, how can you go about doing this. Some are close enough to drive 6hrs. to check out but some are much further. I've read of other boaters on OSO buying boats out of state sight unseen. I understand about getting a survey and all, but surveyors have their fees and I would like to know if the boat was in somewhat decent shape before I forked out the cash for a survey. Also should a offer be made and agreement of the sale price before a survey? Thanks for all the great information so far. Very informative.

smoker62 02-16-2011 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 3328519)
This doesn't really pertain to making a offer, but when buying a boat which is miles away, how can you go about doing this. Some are close enough to drive 6hrs. to check out but some are much further. I've read of other boaters on OSO buying boats out of state sight unseen. I understand about getting a survey and all, but surveyors have their fees and I would like to know if the boat was in somewhat decent shape before I forked out the cash for a survey. Also should a offer be made and agreement of the sale price before a survey? Thanks for all the great information so far. Very informative.

If I get my boat sold in a week or two, I plan on flying out east to look at one I am interested in. I can fly out for the weekend cheaper than the gas to drive 15 hrs one way . Plus my wife would like a romantic weekend get away. Wonder where shes going.:grinser010:

Mastercraft240 02-16-2011 08:00 PM

Ooo, thats easy. Just post up the location of the boat. A member might live within 15 minutes of the boat. Couldn't tell you how many times someone posts up if anyone can check a boat out for them.

capt2130 02-16-2011 08:02 PM

Do all your homework on what you are going to buy. Get as many pictures and info from the seller. If all is to your liking make him a offer. Tell the seller it is all contingent to a inspection and sea trial. If it what you want make the deal. If not renegotiate or just walk away. I drove over 17 hrs to get my bike.

ElimiNordic 02-16-2011 09:19 PM

I just bought a boat in Portland and I live in Atlanta. We just hopped a flight out and drove the boat. I would NEVER buy sight unseen, but some guys do. I love the concept of asking for a locale OSO member to help. Someone here on the site would be happy to be your eyes and ears if you can't make it out to look at every boat. I know I would.

Jamie B. 02-17-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3327452)
Just don't be an A-Hole when making your offer. I was selling a 21' Scarab w/trailer (I am in the Great Lakes - Detroit Area) a few years back. I had a guy show up (drove in from Southern IL) and after wasting an hour of my time, broke out a NADA sheet for a 21' Scarab with no options or trailer listed and even the wrong motor and proceeded to tell me my boat was not worth nearly as much in "his area" according to his NADA sheet. The way he did it wasn't cool and immediately ruined any possibility of negotiation. I told him "this boat isn't for sale in YOUR AREA" and then proceeded to tell him to get the hell off my property.

Long story short, had he negotiated properly instead of telling me how much my boat wasn't worth and having a NADA Sheet with the correct options listed he probably could have got me down. Instead he pissed me off so bad I probably wouldn't have sold it to him for $2k more than I was asking..... It doesn't hurt to lowball, if done the right way. Just don't go into it cocky... As the saying goes you get more fly's with honey (or is it $hit).... Oh hell I can't remember............

Just to make a related comment on this, I'm in the process of looking at 30 to 33 foot express cruisers and when I called my insurance company ( State Farm ) for what a quote would be on a particular model, they also made mention to check the boats value range via the NADA guide. I didnt ask them this, but I assume they also use NADA when they are determining a total loss value.

scottw 02-17-2011 06:23 PM

Now that everyone has given me great information, who knows anyone out there who is financing performance boats?

ElimiNordic 02-17-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 3329404)
Now that everyone has given me great information, who knows anyone out there who is financing performance boats?

Credit Unions

scottw 02-17-2011 07:26 PM

Checked with my CU, they only go back 5 years. Looking at a 1997.