Notices

Warm and toasty now....

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm and toasty now....

I have had the new engine running so obviously there is water in the block, we have had a couple of cold spells lately and due for more. I do not really want to drain the block etc so was trying to think of a safe, cheap and easy way to keep the engine warm. I have a wood stove in the shop so during the day and into the early evening it is not a problem to start and keep a fire going, but what to do during the wee hours...???

Then I recall, many moons ago, when I had big sideburns, I had a water bed for a short time..... I grew out of the fad and used the headboard and base as firewood but kept the flat electric pad heater to use to keep wine carboys warm when brewing my wine......I thought about it the other night and grabbed the heater and slung it down and under the boat engine from side to side so it "wraps" the oil pan, set it on medium and ta da.........warm and toasty engine with no worries, built in thermostat and circuit breaker......might be a market for something like this....
Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Good idea!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're heating during the day and early evening, your shop (and inside of your block) should stay above freezing. Risky though if you miss a day or two.

With that said, typically a shop light with a ~75 or 100 watt bulb in the engine bay should be enough to keep things above freezing.

Make sure you dont have any gas leaks.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
If you're heating during the day and early evening, your shop (and inside of your block) should stay above freezing. Risky though if you miss a day or two.

With that said, typically a shop light with a ~75 or 100 watt bulb in the engine bay should be enough to keep things above freezing.

Make sure you dont have any gas leaks.
I hear ya, the shop is not that well insulated, on my "Honey do list".....so it cools off pretty fast once the fire goes out.

I had "gas leaks" in the water bed with no problems...................
Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

if it was an airplane it would be called a Tanis heater

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
I have had the new engine running so obviously there is water in the block, we have had a couple of cold spells lately and due for more. I do not really want to drain the block etc so was trying to think of a safe, cheap and easy way to keep the engine warm. I have a wood stove in the shop so during the day and into the early evening it is not a problem to start and keep a fire going, but what to do during the wee hours...???

Then I recall, many moons ago, when I had big sideburns, I had a water bed for a short time..... I grew out of the fad and used the headboard and base as firewood but kept the flat electric pad heater to use to keep wine carboys warm when brewing my wine......I thought about it the other night and grabbed the heater and slung it down and under the boat engine from side to side so it "wraps" the oil pan, set it on medium and ta da.........warm and toasty engine with no worries, built in thermostat and circuit breaker......might be a market for something like this....