Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew? >

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Notices

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boss has always told me, if buying used always expect to replace motors (exception of smartcraft since they can be scanned).

Personal experience.... No deposits. Go there and pay in full. If they can't wait for you to arrange for survey/inspection then it's best to just walk away.

No matter how nice yours is, the person next to yours is WILL be nicer. Be happy with what you'll have because as soon as you consider selling you've already lost money.

And last.... Wish I never got into this damn sport

One more thing, when inspecting a boat, make sure it hasn't already been run recently. Meaning ice cold... It's amazing how many boats I've seen that will barely start without motivation but spark instantly if the slightest bit warm.

Last edited by prostock85; 02-23-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Default Also,,,

Keep in mind that just because an engine's ecm can be accessed via a scanner, how do you know for sure that the computer you are talking to was the original one that came on that engine???

Just sayin'. There's an endless amount of information to be absorbed. Buyers need to know what they're doing. That applies now more than ever. Lots of boats are in bad neglect but a non-discerning buyer may not know the difference.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Keep in mind that just because an engine's ecm can be accessed via a scanner, how do you know for sure that the computer you are talking to was the original one that came on that engine???

Just sayin'. There's an endless amount of information to be absorbed. Buyers need to know what they're doing. That applies now more than ever. Lots of boats are in bad neglect but a non-discerning buyer may not know the difference.
Very true
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered

Wow! Sure is a lot of knowledge here. Great reading, could have used the insight for previous purchases.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Registered

Wink

that in 1990 I would of bought the 26 sutphen over the 24 baja for 5 grand more or spent another 10grand and ordered a 28saber without power and put my own power in it. which I am doing now ha ha. but the baja did run great from 90 to 06 with stock and big power. now its in the garage a part. while the saber is being put together. hope I get 20yrs out of it. haha.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I wished I knew how much I was going to love it and got out of cars sooner. We have meet some great people and had fun buying and selling boats. We are on our seventh boat and had the time of our lives. Buy what you can afford and don't buy on colors/options. Stick to price, engine package and condition and you will be fine. Get your boat picked up and enjoy the summer!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie
don't buy on colors/options.
Great advise, IMO. Easier said than done for most, including me. But, excellent advise!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wished I had known that the boats I bought from the West Coast were used and not new. This would of helped me big time.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I wished I had known that the boats I bought from the West Coast were used and not new. This would of helped me big time.
Ouch- that had to hurt.

Not to mention the fact that that is very un-sportmanlike in addition to being illegal.

Can you tell us the vendors? (you used the term boat(s))

Thanks.

Uncle Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered
Gold Member

wish i would have bought a quality first. also wish i would have bought used instead of new. bought a new 35 fountain that was garbage. learned the hard way. fell apart fast. buy something thats too big now because it will be too small very shortly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.