Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew? >

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Notices

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I would have known if I was going to end up spending 3 times, or 4 times as much as I thought I would to maintain and run it.

However much you are thinking it will actually cost, double it and you'll still be light
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

PROPERLY maintaining a boat is far more expensive than you may expect. I'm not talking oil changes and drive fluid checks. I'm talking recommended service intervals for valve springs, full drive rebuilds... etc. I suppose it's the preventative maintenance that is sometimes insane. Seems like there are two groups of thought on this. There are the hammerheads that go run the dog scrap out of their boat and won't turn a bolt until something breaks in half. The other group does every maintenance item by line when it's called for. I think that a large performance boat is much like staying on top of a house. You have to stay on top of maintenance and improvements or things can get away from you and deteriorate fast.

An old friend of mine that was in the rental property business would tell me that the best indicator of a tenant was the condition of the car they drove. He said 99 times out of a 100 if their perspective tenants car was dirty, full of trash with bald tires they were getting ready to trash your property and leave you with a few months rent. Those that cared for their vehicles, no matter what year or tier were the best tenants. I think this thought process can be useful when buying a private party boat. Look beyond the cosmetic condition of the boat... the owners lifestyle and other possessions could potentially shed a bit of light on how the boat may have been cared for.

Just my 2 cents... I'm sure some will disagree.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Make sure you buy a boat big enough that you don't want to trade up after the first summer....
+1...anybody interested in a 32' sunsation
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

(1)Don't buy a new boat. You may as well burn your money in the fireplace.

(2)Get the boat you really want. If you can't, then wait. I bought a 22' boat, which I ended up trading in on a 25' boat 8 months later, and then 3 years after that I got a 35' boat. You don't make money trading boats.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

If your goal is to go fast, buy a fast hull. Don't buy a slow hull and think you will make it faster with crazy power upgrades.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
(1)Don't buy a new boat. You may as well burn your money in the fireplace.

(2)Get the boat you really want. If you can't, then wait. I bought a 22' boat, which I ended up trading in on a 25' boat 8 months later, and then 3 years after that I got a 35' boat. You don't make money trading boats.
Best advice on here!
Buy what you want to end up with eventually. It will save you multiple thousands of dollars!!!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Walked away and saved the money.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
If your goal is to go fast, buy a fast hull. Don't buy a slow hull and think you will make it faster with crazy power upgrades.
Very true, I made that mistake.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by racer-x6
that's no fun!!! but good advice
Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer-x6
Yup. And the gray hair. And the loss of hair.

Bright side is once you buy your first boat, you have had your worst boat. It is a learning process. I can't imagine having a better boat for what I want to do than the one I have now - fast, big enough for any water I care to run, yet small enough to trailer with a good truck.

Every step of boat ownership makes the next one easier. You'll get the first boat, trade to something with the amenities you want, then get the performance you want, then whatever you want after that, and so on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.