Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury Racing Introduces 1100 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/247789-mercury-racing-introduces-1100-a.html)

WildThing47 02-17-2011 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon (Post 3329281)
NXT SSM = MC6 with different input u-joint shaft

Thank you for clearing this up, that makes more sense.

Jupiter Sunsation 02-17-2011 07:47 PM

I have the same comment I made for the unveiling of the 1350's..........you can buy a beautiful, complete running boat for what the power alone costs.

Jeremy's AM2, 299K or a pair of 1100's/drives for 340K (list).

I know the 1350's are selling like hotcakes but in reality the two or three dozen sets sold isn't the norm in the industry right now.

Fixxxer22 02-17-2011 08:10 PM

Need to be equipping marine setups with a VGT turbo setup.

offshoredrillin 02-17-2011 08:35 PM

Merc has seemingly perfected twin turbos, now just apply to basically any cubic inch they want and they can have any power they want... just give it time, the first I phone was expensive too, now they sell them on the street corner and anyone can jailbreak them. pairs of 1075's are now in the 50-70kmarket, in 3 years these will be less as well.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-17-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 3329234)
Turbos rock!

:ernaehrung004:

PokerRun388 02-17-2011 09:55 PM

That 1100 is a great engine...!!

Cant wait to see em in person...!!!:drink:

Whipple Charged 02-18-2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3329633)
That 1100 is a great engine...!!

Cant wait to see em in person...!!!:drink:

Look like a standard turbo diesel, they removed all the bling such as the carbon inlets and carbon trim to keep cost down.

Whipple Charged 02-18-2011 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3329264)
Thats suggested retail-- not a set in stone price. It can be 60% of that price.

The discount is nowhere near 60%, typically about half that.

Whipple Charged 02-18-2011 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3329117)
Fools I say! :D

Honestly, I know Dustin will argue this, but SC's of any type just cant compete with properly sized and designed turbos. The only place I see SC's having an advantage is with instant throttle response and often more power at lower RPM's. In a performance boat I dont care all that much about either.

I don't know if anyone said they'll never be used, they've been used for years.

Properly designed supercharger systems can compete with turbos, especially with OEM spec motors and OEM style turbos (vs better aftermarket turbos from turbonetics, etc). Making 1350hp with a CAD designed air intake system on that enigne would be very easy to achieve with a twin screw, and the twin screw would be cheaper to produce and easier to package around.

Mercury has made a nice piece and its great, but its not the end all solution, and they put in millions of dollars to get the turbos/exhaust...... to work properly. Very few have the resources to duplicate. For every advancement they make, the aftermarket comes up with something similar or better.

One key componet to the motors is the twin overhead variable cams. The things you can do with that is incredible while maintaining great valve train life. Someone like Dart, AFR, Brodix....... need to build one of these heads for the big block. The problem is the expense of these heads, easily would surpass a heavily ported big chief style.

Catmando 02-18-2011 12:47 AM

Mercury has made a nice piece and its great, but its not the end all solution, and they put in millions of dollars to get the turbos/exhaust...... to work properly. Very few have the resources to duplicate. For every advancement they make, the aftermarket comes up with something similar or better.

As an example of how right this is^^^Tommy Hofstetter has been building 1200hp twin turbo motors for quite a while now, and so have others, so Merc is really a Johnny-Come-Lately to this party. Once Tommy got the electronics figured out, he could run the engines on 93 Octane with the cam profile of a 525EFI motor. I might be wrong, but I don't think any SC motor is capable of that.