Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury Racing Introduces 1100 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/247789-mercury-racing-introduces-1100-a.html)

Catmando 02-19-2011 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3331025)
I went by and saw the 1100 today and talked to them about power upgrades. I still like the blower on the 700sc and I love sound of two blowers much better than a hair dryer. That Indy drive sure looks beefy on a stand sitting there with that BIG motor. Pretty impressive. Any body now why they took three different drives and combined them on the 1100 instead of just using the #6. Too much torque?

Indy drive...

Waiit wut??

LapseofReason 02-21-2011 09:42 AM

That 1100 is going to sell like crazy, That is pretty much the motor I have been dreaming of. A 1000+hp on 89 oct. with rebuild times like a 525, with my maybe 100 hours a season run time I'll have 3 years of just fluid changes as long as I don't break something. Says on there web site to run the M8 on heavy boats and the nxt/ssm on lighter ones. I would go m8 just to make it more bulletproof.

ElimiNordic 02-21-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 3331943)
That 1100 is going to sell like crazy, That is pretty much the motor I have been dreaming of. A 1000+hp on 89 oct. with rebuild times like a 525, with my maybe 100 hours a season run time I'll have 3 years of just fluid changes as long as I don't break something. Says on there web site to run the M8 on heavy boats and the nxt/ssm on lighter ones. I would go m8 just to make it more bulletproof.

Do you think at 172k each these will blow out the door? Thats with the NXT/#6 drive.

LapseofReason 02-21-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3331950)
Do you think at 172k each these will blow out the door? Thats with the NXT/#6 drive.

They will never sell that high, I bet in less than a year you will be able to get them with the m8 for 100k or less. If you paid MSRP for every part that went into a boat a 25 Baja would cost 300k new.

dbhammer 02-22-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 3331979)
They will never sell that high, I bet in less than a year you will be able to get them with the m8 for 100k or less. If you paid MSRP for every part that went into a boat a 25 Baja would cost 300k new.

ha ha, thats awesome. i do agree that they will be a big seller. hoping they dial it down to a 900hp soon.

freshwaterfiend 02-22-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski (Post 3330771)
I'm not an engine builder by any definition of the word, nor am I an engineer, or even smart enough to fully understand the finer points of valve train geometry, etc.... however... I think pushrod motors as a whole are old tech, borderline archaic.

The real development here for me is the pioneering of a DOHC head that works in the marine industry. Our world is sustained high RPMs.... taking a good number of the moving parts out of the equation is a no brainer.

I've always been hopeful that someone would develop a retrofit for BBCs that would use DOHCs... and WORK. Everytime I push my boat hard I can't help but think of what's going on inside of a head.

Just my 2 cents.

What? Do some research and you will see that the OHC design is pretty much almost as old as the pushrod engine. They are bulkier and actually probably have just as many moving parts than a pushrod engine.

Pushrod engines can be made to rev well past 8k so running at 5-6k in a boat is really not putting a ton of stress on the internals.

In short a BBC retrofit kit would not yield any substantial benefits for the cost outlay.