Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SeaTek V12

http://contributors.maritimepropulsi...gine-6778.aspx
Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

So they finally did it, this was on the board since 1990! I wonder why now?

I know I'm negative about things or a "realist" as i refer to myself but other than military type applications where would you see this going? Not enough power to weight to be a High Performance package and it will suffer from the same lack of parts and service. You buy a "big" diesel it goes in a boat that travels on it's own bottom so service becomes an issue. I wish them well but I still think what I told Andera and Carlo back then is still right which was go smaller not bigger - maybe the time is right now?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
So they finally did it, this was on the board since 1990! I wonder why now?

I know I'm negative about things or a "realist" as i refer to myself but other than military type applications where would you see this going? Not enough power to weight to be a High Performance package and it will suffer from the same lack of parts and service. You buy a "big" diesel it goes in a boat that travels on it's own bottom so service becomes an issue. I wish them well but I still think what I told Andera and Carlo back then is still right which was go smaller not bigger - maybe the time is right now?
Joe, it isn't going to work merely due to geometry.. 90 Degree V12 is all wrong..
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Rik - I didn't even want to go down that path - LOL!

I wish them luck for a simple reason Bonomi like myself and you with Arenson want to defy conventional go against tradition and have a product that is the essential "better mousetrap". As much as your drives maybe better (I agree they are) it's very hard to fight the black drive! They have engine/drive packages, worldwide service, money to advertise everywhere and their price points are great. People like us have to fight that our whole career, a few make it, most either just go away or stay small. For those reasons I applaud them and you - but yea they are crazy!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Joe, it isn't going to work merely due to geometry.. 90 Degree V12 is all wrong..
Yes,you are right Rik, it should be 720 degrees( 2 crankrevs) :12 =60 degrees
But with modern electronics its possible to overcome the odd fire cilinders ..I guess 60 degrees wasn,t possible due some reason .
Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

90 would give a lower profile and the ability to put more crap in the center, right?

Should have made a flat 12 like an old boxer engine