Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   8.2 MAG H.O. - 430hp (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/247941-8-2-mag-h-o-430hp.html)

A.O. Razor 04-11-2011 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged (Post 3372573)
I've got both dyno's, and my SuperFlow is far more accurate/consistent then my propshaft, so basically I only use our Superflow for almost everything. Every Volvo, Mercury and PCM motor I've seen, keeping in mind they are basically the same, make very close to the stated HP, but all are at the flywheel. Merc has stated propshaft for as long as I can remember, but I've just never come across that.

The 525's make between 540-550hp with standard correction or 515-525hp SAE correction. OEM's must use SAE corrections, and if your in warmer climates such as ours, then you get better standard corrections as it calculates to 60deg F. SAE is a later standard and what most OEM's use.

Thanks for the answer Dustin.
I recall the 525 was rated 500 @ prop when it first came out, and the rest was as well. It seems to me that they changed it ont their website when the 575sci went out. It does make sense to rate at the flywheel. All engines are sold as bobtails, and with different drives it won't really make sense to rate prop. A 525 with a bravo won't make the same prop hp as a 525 with a #6 ect. The only engine they clearly stete the crank hp on, is the 1200sci. Therefore I recon all the merc racing is crank hp. It would make the 1200sci look pretty pointless compared to the 1075sci if the 1075 had prop hp and 1125-1150 hp crank. Why run race gas and pay that much more for 50-75 hp.

I just included this for fun. Used it in an earlier thread.

MattBMiller 04-11-2011 08:31 PM

So let's say I want 500+ hp out of my 8.2's... Dustin? I talked to you last fall and you didn't have anything. Need some engines?

Whipple Charged 04-11-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MattBMiller (Post 3374299)
So let's say I want 500+ hp out of my 8.2's... Dustin? I talked to you last fall and you didn't have anything. Need some engines?

Yes, got some stuff were working on and would love an engine or two to do the instructions and final dyno testing.

BrianH244 06-02-2015 07:34 AM

Any one try the headers yet? Wow are they pricey! Curious of the gains.

BrianH244 06-02-2015 08:20 AM

By the way I have stage 2 PCM
Upgrade by whipple.

BUP 06-02-2015 09:33 AM

Just an FYI there has been talks about how they can regulate messing with these marine emission complicate engines.(catalyst) It will be coming. When I do not know. But they are thinking about a plan.

BrianH244 01-28-2016 07:10 PM

Bump, has anyone played around with cams or anything on the new 8.2? I did the stage 2 whipple PCM upgrade and was super pleased. I still have the stock headers on there now. I'd like to get aftermarket headers, but haven't justified paying $3000+ just for headers.

Brembofreak 01-29-2016 02:10 PM

Hello
I use stage 3,dustin say, thats stage 2 modified for CMI.
Runs good,but i also think for a bit more like other cams or so.
Dustion some month before that he work for stage 48other cam and so) but i ask some week before and get no answer.
Maybe you ask him ahain if this tuning is going one!
i also send mail to DARt,as they make the standart heads,if they have some with more power! But also from there no feedback!
I was wondering than no one come out with tuning for the 8.2!
Michael

SB 01-29-2016 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by sunsation96 (Post 3331888)
I don't think anyone has been able to remove them and change the computer program from Merc as of yet, I may be wrong but mu buddy has two of these engines and if they did come up with something he would have it. I know he has spoke to several compaines asking when? they said it will take time to get around the computer.

Hardin Marine / Cp Performance / etc sells this:
http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-16709...-computer.aspx

121-1200 Max Volt Catalyst Eliminator Computer

Ran into this earlier this week looking up some parts.

121-1200 Max Volt Catalyst Eliminator Computer

If increased engine performance is what you are after but have concerns about the catalyst equipment on your engine, then the Catalytic Eliminator Computer (CEC) is what you need! Designed specifically for marine engines, Maxvolt Performance worked with a team of marine electrical engineers to create a product this simple and gets the job done. There is no cutting or splicing of wires; everything is plug and play! And there are three ways to play! Your engine can be Aggressive,Mild, or Basic:

Aggressive: If you want to be aggressive and replace your stock exhaust system with a header system, then this is the product for you. We worked with the header design teams at Hardin Marine and other popular manufacturers to be sure their headers are manufactured to work with CEC. To be compatible, the header must be made to accept a pre-oxygen sensor!

Mild:If changing over to headers is too aggressive for you, then removing the catalysts but retaining the stock exhaust manifolds is the path for you. Depending on the engine, 10 to 15 horsepower will be gained by removing the catalysts and using the factory exhaust system.

Basic:If your boat has fouled its post oxygen sensors and is no longer under the factory warranty, then you know what it costs to have new sensors installed and the trouble codes cleared. For less than what your dealer charged, you can purchase and install the CEC and never have to worry about throwing that fault code again!

WARNING! This module is not to be used on emissions regulated waterways. The intent of this module is to allow the running of a catalyzed marine engine without the catalytic converters installed and without triggering any ECU error codes. With the engine operating in this condition, the emissions control system will be rendered inoperative. For this reason, do not operate the vessel on emissions regulated waterways. This computer system is not legal for any purpose other than testing purposes and not for use on any state or federal waterway.

Brembofreak 01-29-2016 03:09 PM

This part is not need!
Whipple can cut all that work with the Cats! Sensors and so!
My engine run with CMI headers very well!
Michael