Notices

8.2 MAG H.O. - 430hp

Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
CMI already offers aftermarket headers for the 8.2 with catalytic converters so they are just a bolt on. It is just a matter of time before someone gets into the computer.

If you are truly looking at a boat, just pay the money for the 525's - It just isnt worth fooling with the 8.2's. By the time the warranty is up, someone will be into the computers anyway...
I was unaware that CMI offered anything for the NEW 502.

Is there really a point of replacing the headers without a computer upgrade? I don't know but the 525 are a huge jump from the 8.2? I think with a computer change (someday) and headers those would scoot for less $$$

Last edited by sunsation96; 02-21-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sunsation96
Yes i think that is where the issue is. I also think they have two on each cat one before and one after. That is where the aftermarket companies are having trouble, getting around those. But I will say and it could be the boat, Matt's 32 Sunsation runs in the low 90's with those motors.
Any idea if those are narrowband or wideband sensors?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by STV_Keith
Any idea if those are narrowband or wideband sensors?
Well to tell you the truth I don't know too much or the difference between the two.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Narrowband sensors are only accurate very near the stoichiometric point of the fuel they are sampling (Lambda = 1.00). Wideband sensors are accurate over a much larger range. We regularly use the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor which is accurate from .68 Lambda to 1.22 Lambda (roughly 10.0:1 - 18.4:1 A/F for petrol gasoline).

The quick check is to look at the number of wires coming out of the sensor. Narrowband sensors usually have 3 or less wires, where widebands have 5-6.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink The Real Deal?

Just to let you guys know what I have learned about Mercury horsepower readings as tested by myself and other independents.
When we measure horsepower on Blue- Mercury Racing engines they always make more horsepower at the crankshaft than at the prop and that's why Mercury Racing rates them as propshaft horsepower, its accurate at the prop. On Mercruiser engines (black) such as the new 8.2L HO engine or the 496MAG or Mag HO the horsepower measures within 5 hp or so of the rated horsepower at the crankshaft and less at the prop and it seems to follow from this that Mercruiser is actually using crankshaft horsepower for its black engines. This is also confirmed by Volvo Penta, Crusader, Indmar, etc. in their measurements.
As for this new Mercruiser 8.2l (502) engine, yes the computer reprogramming will be difficult and extensive due to the Catalytic exhaust system and such. But the most important thing to consider at this point is the fact that Mercury must warranty the new engine and exhaust emissions system for three years to meet the new EPA requirements. Whats this mean, it means that if you tweak, modify or change the system, you automatically void the 3 year engine and emissions warranty and basically break the law from an emissions standpoint! After a few years when more of these new engines hit the water and are out of warranty it will probably be feasible to start thinking about looking into ways to up the power output but now its not economically justifiable nor a smart thing to do. When properly done in the future at its then expense on top of this engines $22K price tag its probably just a better idea to buy a Merc Racing HP525efi @32-35K and enjoy it for the next three or four years!, plus you get a stronger drive with the blue engine.

Best Regards,
RAY @ Raylar
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
Just to let you guys know what I have learned about Mercury horsepower readings as tested by myself and other independents.
When we measure horsepower on Blue- Mercury Racing engines they always make more horsepower at the crankshaft than at the prop and that's why Mercury Racing rates them as propshaft horsepower, its accurate at the prop. On Mercruiser engines (black) such as the new 8.2L HO engine or the 496MAG or Mag HO the horsepower measures within 5 hp or so of the rated horsepower at the crankshaft and less at the prop and it seems to follow from this that Mercruiser is actually using crankshaft horsepower for its black engines. This is also confirmed by Volvo Penta, Crusader, Indmar, etc. in their measurements.
As for this new Mercruiser 8.2l (502) engine, yes the computer reprogramming will be difficult and extensive due to the Catalytic exhaust system and such. But the most important thing to consider at this point is the fact that Mercury must warranty the new engine and exhaust emissions system for three years to meet the new EPA requirements. Whats this mean, it means that if you tweak, modify or change the system, you automatically void the 3 year engine and emissions warranty and basically break the law from an emissions standpoint! After a few years when more of these new engines hit the water and are out of warranty it will probably be feasible to start thinking about looking into ways to up the power output but now its not economically justifiable nor a smart thing to do. When properly done in the future at its then expense on top of this engines $22K price tag its probably just a better idea to buy a Merc Racing HP525efi @32-35K and enjoy it for the next three or four years!, plus you get a stronger drive with the blue engine.

Best Regards,
RAY @ Raylar
Ditto... Jamie / Lakeside
Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar

Best Regards,
RAY @ Raylar
Ray,
Are you sure the engine is warrantied for 3 years and not just the exhaust emissions system? That would be great cause I have a couple that are coming up on their 1st birthday in July. 2 more years of coverage would be great but I don't think that's the case.
Steve
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Marine Emmissions sytems warranties?

If one carefully reads the EPA requirements on the new emissions engines it requires that the emissions system must be warrantied for three years to meet EPA requirements. If the engine quits working because the emissions system stops working or it damages the engine with improper operation then the warranty would apply to the whole engine. If the engine other than the emissions system alone breaks or fails due to any other proven cause beyond emissions or from misuse or mis-service, then the three year warranty would not apply as I read the EPA requirements. There was a lot of conversation at NMMA over the last several years about this very item and the EPA put out some pretty clear definitions for the manufacturers as to what had to be warrantied and since this is such a new area with such few engines of this type built and put in service so far the real problems and battles of this issue have yet to be fought! This will get ugly before its over and I for one am still not sure this whole catalytic marine emissions systems will ultimately work out long term, only time will tell.
Mercury marine is still the 800lb gorilla in the room so it will also be interesting to see how they handle this issue? Could get interesting!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

Has anyone tried o2 simulators on these engines yet? Headers are not an issue, it comes down to getting programming to bypass the cats. I've used the simulators on a few car engines with good luck.

Matt
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
1) They are kind of a ***** to rig with tailpipes and Captain's call as the manifold/cc exit is about a foot farther aft than any other engine.
2) The cc definitely makes the engine compartment VERY hot. Heat in the box slows you down; no matter what engine you've got.

Other than that, they appear to be great motors.
All part of the government agenda to put mother earth before the safety of humans. Eventually we will all be driving around coke cans that will self destruct on impact, but it will get 100mpg because mother earth is first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.