Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Where can I sell shredded kevlar? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248263-where-can-i-sell-shredded-kevlar.html)

Expensive Date 02-24-2011 09:27 PM

Yes, it goes bad when used as a vest.Body mosture and constant movement.

GTOFFSHORE 02-24-2011 09:32 PM

They are only certified for use for four years than must be replaced. I have a few of my old ones and they seem fine but don't want to fnd out if they go stale. Since Kevlar is a woven fiber not sure how you cOuld re use it or what kind of market there is for it.

TomFTM 02-24-2011 09:35 PM

Why not ship them to the troops overseas , they use the old vests to line the floors of there vehicles , helps protect them from road side bombs ..

dykstra 02-24-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by TomFTM (Post 3335558)
Why not ship them to the troops overseas , they use the old vests to line the floors of there vehicles , helps protect them from road side bombs ..

There's a great idea.

JAIME 02-24-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by dykstra (Post 3335565)
There's a great idea.

+2:coolcowboy:

Ted G 02-24-2011 10:37 PM

Yeah, if you could just get them loaded into the nooks and crannies of a cargo plane going that way I'm sure they could put the panels to use.

AIR TIME 02-24-2011 10:46 PM

+3 , they could use them in the helicopters floors to if there like the old huwies. instead of sitting on there helmets . maybe everyone on here can donate 10 or 20 bucks to you for shipping and a few bucks for yourself. art:coolcowboy:

Catastrophe 02-25-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK (Post 3335331)
I am shredding 3000 bullet proof vests for the Home land security. Where can I sell the kevlar?

Some neat suggestions on here, but are there no rules with the contract.....as in the kevlar may be sold but the vests themselves cannot be passed on to others ???
Cant imagine H S lets you pass these things on to just anyone.

If you can, I'm sure there are some police depts in Mexico that could use them.

Do they not have H S printing across the back of them in big letters ??

SVL-WARLOCK 02-25-2011 08:39 AM

They have to be shredded. The government wants them shredded. I cant even keep one for my self. They are watching the shredding as its done. I believe its against the law to own a vest. Up to 5 years in fed prison if not a military or police use. Thats what the HS guy is telling me.

Catastrophe 02-25-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK (Post 3335787)
They have to be shredded. The government wants them shredded. I cant even keep one for my self. They are watching the shredding as its done. I believe its against the law to own a vest. Up to 5 years in fed prison if not a military or police use. Thats what the HS guy is telling me.

Thats what I thought...makes sense.

Guess that why you asked where to get rid of shredded Kevlar in the first place:drink: