Notices

Buy or can I do better

Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the enjoyment of boating is doing what you are doing right now, looking for your new ride.
So have fun doing it and dont make it angst, take your time.

If you lose a deal, relax, there are tons of boats out there.

Invariably 6 months after you find one and use it, you will get the evercommon disease.....onefootitus.

Good luck and have fun !!!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

For what it is worth, I will add that some folks spend so much time looking, that they shorten thier time to enjoy. Educate yourself as well as you can, do your homework, narrow your choices, have a survey done, and pull the trigger! Just remember that when you buy, you have to be thinking about selling, so be in it right, and don't get anything too "kinky".

I have a buddy that gets what I call "Paralysis through Analysis". whether it be a boat or a TV, he gets so buried in comparing and afraid that he is paying too much that he never does anything! When he misses a killer deal through this, he measures all other deals against the one that he missed. He usually just shakes his head at me as I will buy and sell more stuff in a few years, as he will in his lifetime. he sure likes riding in my stuff, though! (and that is perfectly fine)
Old 02-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fctyson0
Thanks everyone. You all have good advise. I looked at that formula over and over. Everyone aside that the trailer was junk and not to travel across the country with it but u add 4-5k to the price for a trailer and it's over my budget
Don't buy any of the boats listed if you can not stomach spending at least 2k on it the first year. That is for repairs not maintenance.

That is of course assuming you are going to put some hours on it.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tylerjustinhunt
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o37202-en.html
I think this would be alot better choice than the Baja and seems to be priced well and has a windshield.
Good choice!! twice the boat the 272 is!!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
For what it is worth, I will add that some folks spend so much time looking, that they shorten thier time to enjoy. Educate yourself as well as you can, do your homework, narrow your choices, have a survey done, and pull the trigger! Just remember that when you buy, you have to be thinking about selling, so be in it right, and don't get anything too "kinky".

I have a buddy that gets what I call "Paralysis through Analysis". whether it be a boat or a TV, he gets so buried in comparing and afraid that he is paying too much that he never does anything! When he misses a killer deal through this, he measures all other deals against the one that he missed. He usually just shakes his head at me as I will buy and sell more stuff in a few years, as he will in his lifetime. he sure likes riding in my stuff, though! (and that is perfectly fine)
That is a good point too.....for sure.

I have a friend like that also.

The other post re spending a couple of thousand in your first year is valid also.

If one or two thousand makes or breaks your lifestyle and will pisss you off, then boating aint going to be fun at all.

Boating will make your wallet yawn more than anything else based on my experience doing it.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verbi69
Good choice!! twice the boat the 272 is!!
I like this boat a lot but it's 1500 miles one way.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fctyson0
I like this boat a lot but it's 1500 miles one way.
That is a good distance no doubt but dont rule it out completely.

Have the owner send you a lot of pictures of various areas and components- explaining your interest and distance.

Perhaps someone on the board here lives close to the boat and can give it a look for you??- just a thought.

I drove 900 miles to look at the boat we just bought and all I can say is that I am sure glad I did!!

Just my .02
Old 02-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dboater1
I would try to find a 25 Outlaw. The Outlaw is a much better hull than the 272. Also the 25 outlaw is comparable in size because its a full 25' not including the swim platform. the 272 is including the swim platform.You dont get the windshield with the Outlaw but worth the trade off for ride. I had a 2000 25 Outlaw that i was happy with, it is a great starter boat and most importantly as far as i can remember is faster than the 272 with equal power. Im sure you can find a better deal closer than 15 hours away.
Now that is one of only a few posts that I would agree with. some of the boats suggested or 10k more $$ The one that is cheaper is 33 years old
A 454 mag is not ready for a top end rebuild after 300 hours, unless you never took care of it.

I have friends that have been treated very well by Grand Sport Center. A survey is always a good idea.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Payton
Now that is one of only a few posts that I would agree with. some of the boats suggested or 10k more $$ The one that is cheaper is 33 years old
A 454 mag is not ready for a top end rebuild after 300 hours, unless you never took care of it.

I have friends that have been treated very well by Grand Sport Center. A survey is always a good idea.

Good luck!
i love the look of a boat without a windshield but i am affraid that its going to to cold of a ride.we hane a lot of days with overcast and high 60 deg days so thats the reason for a windshield.also we get rain showers with wind most days.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by andyt25
the is a 26 sonic prowler in stoney point ny on boattrader it looks like a nice boat
link please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.