Insulation and heating question on shops >

Insulation and heating question on shops

Notices

Insulation and heating question on shops

Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Insulation and heating question on shops

Ok I'm getting ready to start on my shop and have a question. I want to heat my 30x55x14 ft shop so I don't have to winterize the boat anymore. From the bottom of the teases to the peak of the roof is only 4'9 so there isn't a ton of space up there. Will putting in a ceiling make that big of a difference? I am using r-19 insulation All the way through the shop and covering all the walls with plywood. Someone suggested putting some ceiling fans up there to circulate the air back down. Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Ok I'm getting ready to start on my shop and have a question. I want to heat my 30x55x14 ft shop so I don't have to winterize the boat anymore. From the bottom of the teases to the peak of the roof is only 4'9 so there isn't a ton of space up there. Will putting in a ceiling make that big of a difference? I am using r-19 insulation All the way through the shop and covering all the walls with plywood. Someone suggested putting some ceiling fans up there to circulate the air back down. Any thoughts?
put up a ceiling and blow 10" of insulation up there ,pocket change compared to heating the rafters
Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with a ceiling up of some sort and make it white, just for immense difference it makes in lighting the place to work in. Ceiling fans are also a must if you have 14' or taller walls imo. Our shop at work is 48x60x16, white liner steel on the ceiling, white spray foam on the walls, heated with tube style radiant heat. Love the radiant heat, warms floor, objects, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it will make a huge difference, heat rises. Just insulate between trusses and put plywood or something on the ceiling as well. The fans will help also being 14' high.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Builder wants to put up a metal ceiling instead of plywood... Said he will have to use extra 2x4 bracing on the rafters and somethig about sagging... What did you all use for ceiling?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your local codes. Some places require sheetrock walls and so on over insulation. If you have spray foam insulation any place you NEED to cover it with something. The stuff is SUPER flamable and very toxic when it burns. My place in Maine is made with SIPS panels and I tossed some of it in a fire. The flames and heat were amazing!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1/8" thick door skins 4x8 paint both sides. light weight and fasten into 2x4's
Attached Thumbnails Insulation and heating question on shops-dsc02505.jpg   Insulation and heating question on shops-dsc02504.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Registered

Looks like o could drywall the thing fairly cheap just don't know how thick to go with.... Would you prefer drywall over plywood or osb? That door skins stuff looks nice to but what are cost?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

If you do infloor radiant or radiant tube heaters you won't need ceiling fans, if you install forced air unit heaters or a furnace they are a must.
Put as much insulation as you can in the ceiling, r30 if you can.
Inulation is an investment that will pay you back every year you heat the space.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your builder should be able to put you in contact with somebody that can get it done right the first time. Its not rocket science, but their are a few things that need to be considered when it comes to heat. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.