Black Thunder Company for sale

Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Black Thunder Company for sale

This was posted on the OTHER site LOL

Does anyone have confermation?

Posted on March 01, 2011

The owner of Black Thunder Powerboats is selling the company and hoping that some "young blood" can come in and keep the nearly 25-year-old manufacturer going.

"It's just age, more than anything. It's going to take a fight to get it going again," Don Jenkins, 78, told Soundings Trade Only. "I was at the Miami show and it seemed that there were a lot of people there and everybody still wants a boat and it looks like it's going to turn around now and start going back the other way.

"It's really disappointing," he said of the decision to sell. "If you could take 20 years off my life, there'd be no way I'd sell it. Sometimes age gets you and there's nothing you can do about that."

Jenkins said the Hannibal, Mo.-based, family-owned company shipped its last boat about 30 days ago and is no longer in production. At one time, he said, Black Thunder Powerboats did more than $6 million in sales annually.

The company prides itself on being a custom builder, adding on its website, "No two Black Thunders are alike, your boat is as original as your ideas."

The new owners, Jenkins hopes, will be go-fast enthusiasts who will "build it even bigger than we have."

The company's website says the company's logo, which it calls a prime asset, the clothing lines, the tooling and the molds are included in the $950,000 asking price.

Also, the 13,000-square-foot manufacturing facility is leasable for $3,500 a month, with an additional 40,000-square-foot building possibly available.

The site mentions "very capable and trusted employees that ... would be a very important asset to continue the business," although it adds that the molds and equipment can be moved to another U.S. location or shipped overseas.

"It's not a business that should end. It's a business that some young blood should get in and move on with," Jenkins said. "It's a wonderful business."

For information, call (573) 795-2222.

— Beth Rosenberg
Old 03-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Confirmed
Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Been for sale for about 3-4 weeks.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Seems liek last year I just wrote a post saying I didn't know how these guys were still in business and needed a marketer/visionary in a bad way. I hope someone steps up to the plate because this is one of the boats on my short list.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved my old BT but much has to change to bring them in to the year 2011
Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
I loved my old BT but much has to change to bring them in to the year 2011
+1
Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the GT but when they went to that 6'10 head room ( and I am 6'5" and like a big cabin) I think they jumped the shark. Years ago when talking to Terry Sobo who worked for BT he said he left because he didn't like the way they were going with the boats. Now Nortech is very much at the top and Terry has a lot to do with that. Anybody that buys the company needs to add some boats and bring back the lower deck GT not just that huge thing.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good friend had a 46 BT. Those things are condos on the water.

I believe you may have worked with or know of him from your Manning days? Jack B.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatme
This was posted on the OTHER site LOL

Does anyone have confermation?
Originally Posted by salesmanship
Confirmed
Guess they got it right!!!!LOL
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
I liked the GT but when they went to that 6'10 head room ( and I am 6'5" and like a big cabin) I think they jumped the shark. Years ago when talking to Terry Sobo who worked for BT he said he left because he didn't like the way they were going with the boats. Now Nortech is very much at the top and Terry has a lot to do with that. Anybody that buys the company needs to add some boats and bring back the lower deck GT not just that huge thing.
and add some flowing lines vs add on's that interupt the flow...to bulgy, porkly looking...and needs tons of refinements...

I agree the GT looked way better..

I was under the impression its been for sale since 07..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.