Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
8.1 feed back+smartcraft gauges >

8.1 feed back+smartcraft gauges

Notices

8.1 feed back+smartcraft gauges

Old 05-21-2002, 03:34 PM
hughandlinda

Question 8.1 feed back+smartcraft gauges

Does anyone have real feedback on the 496 HO and how well the smartcraft gauges work vs Gaffrig?

Thanks for the info

Hugh

Old 05-21-2002, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the motor is concerned I think it's great. Smooth, reliable and strong.

Gauges...Well, I prefer gaffrig for the standard cluster all available at one time, but the smartcraft is awesome!!

You can literally monitor and view dozens of different engine systems and functions that normally wouldn't be available. Plus it has some pretty nify calculators and eta stuff.

Some features include individual cylinder monitoring, temp, comp press, knock, oil press, oil temp, water temp, water press, rpm, voltage, spark, trim, you name it. I was impressed with it when I saw a demo.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

What info do you need on the engine? After having it for one season, I like it. I'd rather have a 540, but $$$ prevented that purchase. The engine is smooth, powers my 28 well. Its a breeze to winterize and change oil and I love the closed cooling because I boat in salt water. The stainless risers and other advances eliminate a lot of problems inherent in the 502. Its also smartcraft ready. I don't have any feedback on the smartcraft gauges.