Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
house battery vs cranking battery, help??? >

house battery vs cranking battery, help???

Notices

house battery vs cranking battery, help???

Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

us1, ok. Im not gonna take the charger out of the boat. I will leave it hooked up to one crank and the house battery. I have looked at the back of the frig and i only see a power cord. The ac setup looks great, looks very involved though. I do want to get a switch on the house, i guess i'll get one of the orange ones like i have so they will match, don't know the brand. Do you have to worry about your house going dead while running the ac unit? how long will it run? I do like the idea of having one for the kids though. Its a new boat for us, want to enjoy it first, have already spend $2500 in new gimbal rings, bearings, boots, cables, trim switches and senders.....you know the deal. Got the reworked rings and stuff from jr marine...great guys and products too! I still have to put the transom plugs in the holes before putting it in the water. Hey, i really appriciate all the helpful info, im not new to boating just to the twin engine setup. like i said, i had a 24' baja and always wanted to step up to twins. Got this boat for a really good price. I will probably put heat in it before the ac, that way we can go for a boat ride early or late in the season, plus, my old man dont like that damn cold anymore..
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

us1, I see you are in lafayette, where do you boat up there? we go to the ohio usually but want to hit up some lakes this summer, maybe cumberland or dale hollow. Have you ever been to thunder of louisville, we are planning on going next month, hopefully the river won't be completely trashed...but it usually is this time a year.

Last edited by 290enticer; 03-05-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have a slip in Bloomington (IU country) on Lake Monroe. Are there every weekend starting as soon as temps allow, usually early May and go till Nov 1st. Haul your boat up here this summer. We try to hit Cumberland at least once a yr now for the poker run, just gotten too comfortable with the convience of hopping in the econo car and driving to the lake were the boat is sitting there waiting for us. I do have a cabin reserved for this yrs PR, so will be there for sure. Missed last yrs do to no accomodations and last minute planning. Been to the Thunder a couple of times several yrs ago. Loved it! Fireworks that shake the ground setting off car alarms.

Look at the spec plate on your fridge, it should state AC or AC/DC use. Probably just AC though, otherwise I'd think it'd be wired D/C too.
Both my boats A/C units are R/C, so they cool and also heat. These are an all in one unit.

I can't run the A/C in either the Fountain or Baja, unless plugged into Shorepower or running a generator. A Honda 2000 is perfect here.
No invertor on the Fountain, and the one I put in the Baja is only 800W to run the blenders for the girls Margarittas drinks and what knots. I didn't see the need to install a larger one for A/C use since that would have been more costly and required a large battery bank, plus we just don't use A/C while out floating. That's what floaties are for.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-05-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 290enticer
yeah, i probably will. You had an ac unit in your scarab? Well, that would be nice for the kids to go down into the cabin and be able to watch tv and take a nap, while the wife and i....soak up the sun. do they make ac units for boats? how do they adapt on the cuddy??
Well, I BOUGHT the A/C for the Scarab...it's been in my garage for 3 years. LOL I have the Mermaid Air 6500BTU setup. It's one of the lowest draw units on the market. They claim it can be run off a single Honda EU1000i generator (it's AC power). Here's the specs: http://www.mmair.com/marine_division...500_btu_system It's supposed to draw 6.4amps to run it, plus the water pump draw, so not that bad. However, it pulls almost 12amps at startup.

Anyway, it needs AC power and you have to run a water pump to send water to it for the heat exchanger. It takes water in from the outside, runs it through the heat exchanger and then dumps it back overboard. The unit is pretty compact. I have a perfect place to put it in my boat, just behind the cabin bulkhead, but just haven't got that far.

Originally Posted by 290enticer
I do want to get a switch on the house, i guess i'll get one of the orange ones like i have so they will match, don't know the brand.
Check out the ON-OFF Blue Sea units. 600amp rating. That's what I have on my house battery.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/4
Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STV_Keith
Check out the ON-OFF Blue Sea units. 600amp rating. That's what I have on my house battery.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/4
Nice switch, but way overkill. You'd have to have at min. 2- 2/0 (huge) wires on each stud, both in and out, to require a switch of that rating.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Nice switch, but way overkill. You'd have to have at min. 2- 2/0 (huge) wires on each stud, both in and out, to require a switch of that rating.
They are 1/2" studs, but I ran 4ga wire from my two house batts, to the switch, then to the helm for the stereo and VHF. Don't need the rating really, for what I am using it for, but it's a nice, clean looking switch that does the job and matches form factor with my engine battery switches.

Cranking Rating: 10 sec. 2,750 Amps
Cranking Rating: 1 min. 1,325 Amps
Intermittent Rating: 5 min. 900 Amps
Continuous Rating 600 Amps