Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are there other options besides lifeline jackets? >

Are there other options besides lifeline jackets?

Notices

Are there other options besides lifeline jackets?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am not mistaken, Lifeline vests are not Coast Guard approved right? So on a boat you would have to have an approved jacket/vest for everybody as well as a Lifeline IF that is your choice.....personally, I boat at idle to about 80mph and I feel comfortable in the Mustang hydrostatic "horse-shoe" vest, it is comfortable, light weight, reasonable priced and it WILL flip you right side up if you go in unconcious.......I agree, if you RACE you need more protection ie. helmet vest etc.....but for what I do, and I think what "most" do, these work well.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/produ...uct.php?id=513
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi,

I partly agree. I think its fine to use hydrostatic vest up to 60 mph. Above that the water and speed together can be fatal. Check out Crewfit 290N Advanced & Advanced Plus at http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver....html?catid=95

The god thing about these vests are that they have leg straps. Without the vest tend to go over your head if you hit the water at high speeds. Just something to be aware of.

Cheeers, Toffen

Last edited by Toffen; 03-05-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Toffen
Hi,

I partly agree. I think its fine to use hydrostatic vest up to 60 mph. Above that the water and speed together can be fatal. Check out Crewfit 290N Advanced & Advanced Plus at http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver....html?catid=95

The god thing about these vests are that they have leg straps. Without the vest tend to go over your head if you hit the water at high speeds. Just something to be aware of.

Cheeers, Toffen
Good point and nice vests......are these "North American" Coast Guard approved?

PS. If you are unlucky enough to go out of a boat at 60, 80 or 100 I think your screwed either way..... I was thrown at about 50 and broke ribs and an arm, had nothing to do with a lifejacket, just happened I had the Mustang on and it did the right thing and it was nice to float face up waiting to be picked up..... ;-)

Last edited by FogduckerIII; 03-05-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toffen
Hi,

The good thing about these vests are that they have leg straps. Without the vest tend to go over your head if you hit the water at high speeds. Just something to be aware of.

Cheeers, Toffen
What he said. At a minimum, the vest must have leg straps. Second, the wear uses them!!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

I have Lifelines that Carol and I use several times a season. When I bought them, she commented on how much they cost. I told her that I felt that we are both worth the cost. Now, she is the first person on board to put on a jacket. I have reservations with some folks that believe that accidents can only happen when racing. Things can happen in the blink of an eye on the water, whether you are running 80 or 50. Just my .02!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have 2 lifeline jackets for sale $500, they were recertified and completely recondition last year, they have the thin padding, offshore race style