Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Image 38' Cat vs Fountain 38-42':  Opinions? >

Image 38' Cat vs Fountain 38-42': Opinions?

Notices

Image 38' Cat vs Fountain 38-42': Opinions?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to see if your state farm agent can insure you. State farm insured my scarab 22 but will not insure my fountain 32. I have ALOT of personal insurance with them over a long time period. They would make no exception for "high performance" boat.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

A 42 fountain is a much better running boat.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by xwing
Rainmn: Yes, good point...I will ask State Farm about boat insurance costs.

As a heads up - SF isn't necessarily going to insure either of those boats. Probably not the CAT at all unless they think it is a sail boat, and probably not the Fountain because they aren't hot on insuring go fast boats.

There are a few guys on here who have had decent luck insuring go-fasts with the big name insurers (SF, Nationwide, etc...) but there are guys like me that got quoted a great rate from SF and then got dropped when it ultimately came to the underwriters. It appears to be VERY broker dependent, but I wouldn't expect they will insure either of the boats you mentioned.

I would do a reality check by calling some of the OSO insurance agents who cater to our group - Stacey at Wakezone, Sy Goldberg, Elton Porter, etc.... They know go-fasts and like our kind of people!!!! Check them out in the Insurance/Finance section of thsi website.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my sf agent had to fight to get my sonic insured with sbc power I don't think they're going to touch either of the boats you're looking at
Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered

"but there are guys like me that got quoted a great rate from SF and then got dropped when it ultimately came to the underwriters"

Exactly what happen to me. Bought the boat 900 miles away, got quote from my SF agent and told me to bring payment in. I brought payment to agent and sent driver to get boat. Then I got a call from SF agent saying he was returning my payment due to underwriting. I was pretty mad about the boat uninsured in transit. High performance boat insurance is harder to find than your typical name brands you see advertising auto insurance.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,317 Likes on 735 Posts

SF has done mine for 4 years BUT I have 3 cars, house, umbrella, and motorcycle with them.

I doubt they would do a CAT,and from what I have read here you will be hard pressed to get 100 mph cat insurance going from a small stingray.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 03-07-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
SF has done mine for 4 years BUT I have 3 cars, house, umbrella, and motorcycle with them.

I doubt they would do a CAT,and from what I have read here you will be hard pressed to get 100 mph cat insurance going from a small stingray.
SF has done all our boats. Last two were Fountains, 42 with triple 525 SC's and 47 with triple 500 EFI's. Very reasonable rates too. Farmers can do boats up to 40' and under 80 mph too.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reference the Image/Awesome 38 cat, see this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...ml#post3344790

The last post should convince you, focus on the Fountain.
Course unless you win the lottery and go for the right choice---------a 40 Skater!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Registered

Add progressive to the list, as long as you're under 1000 horse power total. 14 properties, all autos, atvs, motorhome, umbrella, and life insurance with SF and I couldn't persuade them to insure. It felt like a lecture about "high performance" being bad. Didn't leave me witha warm feeling of my agent of 20+ years.

If you buy the fountain you are buying a reputable and proven hull.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered

ROTAX454: Thank you for that reference, because it speaks directly to my major purpose--going fairly fast on Lake Michigan seas, which can be snotty/UNEVENLY choppy wave periods...looks like the specific _38 foot_ Awesome Cat hull is NOT great in moderate waves, unlike most cats...thus the lower price, I suppose.

This thread/great people here have saved me $90,000 and years of heartache already and is steering me to a better decision, as I'd hoped.

Fountain may not be the be-all end-all, but on a price vs performance/quality/ride basis for a used boat, still seems very viable for me. Will be checking on insurance rates nonetheless. I have boat, house, 4 cars, a fast cycle, truck, trailer, and umbrella with State Farm. They've been good to me so far but will search options in case of Rejection.

ps...how many 38-42' boats have MORE than the standard 5 seats? I know I've seen 3 row seating sometimes...just the smallish cockpit always surprises me a bit for such large boats...barely any more room than my 23' Stingray for "party groupings".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.