Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Image 38' Cat vs Fountain 38-42': Opinions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248961-image-38-cat-vs-fountain-38-42-opinions.html)

Baja555 03-08-2011 07:44 AM

I believe Baja and Formula do 7 - 8 person seating

monstaaa 03-09-2011 07:02 AM

fountain.

ROTAX454 03-09-2011 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by xwing (Post 3345009)
ROTAX454: Thank you for that reference, because it speaks directly to my major purpose--ps...how many 38-42' boats have MORE than the standard 5 seats? I know I've seen 3 row seating sometimes...just the smallish cockpit always surprises me a bit for such large boats...barely any more room than my 23' Stingray for "party groupings".

Your welcome and Black Thunder can handle some pretty snotty conditions. Certain models have basically three rows of seating.

Marc. Chime in with the specific details on the BT line. Course, finding one in your price range is another matter.

Back4More 03-09-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Baja555 (Post 3345053)
I believe Baja and Formula do 7 - 8 person seating

Yeah, But he said he wants to use it on Lake Michigan...Call Shogren.

Griff 03-09-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by xwing (Post 3344695)
Rainmn: Yes, good point...I will ask State Farm about boat insurance costs.

Gofastlvr: I know I'd like a Fountain for my purposes, more "Party Room" up front, but down 15+mph with same power seems like. I've been leaning in that direction, but have to consider the Cats for cool + speed.

I'd researched a Sutphen last year, was a fast race boat redone to "nice"...amenities not quite as nice maybe as Fountain not to speak of Cigarette etc as I recall.

--Will check on possible "Limiting Factor" of insurance rates; my current 23' Stingray (63mph) costs about $300/year (free basically) so if it is jumping a factor of 16, need to know!

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

State Farm will not not even think about insuring that cat. They probably would not insure the 38-42 Fountain either with the same power.

Insurance for that cat with your lack of cat experience is going to run you more than 10k per year.

Marginmn 03-09-2011 02:27 PM

It's old school thinking but if you are going from a 24 ft boat it would probably be best to work your way up the performance ladder with the bigger V before jumping into a cat.

Jamie B. 03-09-2011 05:15 PM

Jack ?
Its 38 Cigarette on 3SI.

Originally Posted by xwing (Post 3344499)
I live in Wisconsin on Lake Michigan,
Oak Creek, Wisconsin

Captain YARRR 03-09-2011 05:22 PM

N00b question: What's the biggest differences between driving a V-hull and a cat at speed? Or is it that cats are just that much faster?

pitts1313 03-09-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR (Post 3346454)
N00b question: What's the biggest differences between driving a V-hull and a cat at speed? Or is it that cats are just that much faster?

I don't own one, but I've had experience with them (passing me!). Same power in both boats and the cat is going to be faster because of less wetted area. Danger (higher insurance) comes from inherent speed of the cat and mistakes can happen a lot quicker. Like not seeing a rogue wake, or that they take longer to slow down, blowing one over backwards, etc. Gee, I want one!

offshorexcursion 03-09-2011 08:26 PM

My friend has a 38 Awesome Cat and loves it. Very roomy and good in the rough water. He runs it on lake Michigan.

You might consider a newer 33 or 35 Baja outlaw, they handle rough water great and have a huge cockpit!

Black thunder has a 43 and 46 extended cockpit with 3 rows. Awesome boats.

42 fountain will handle lake michigan with ease, fast and fun handling boat. Smaller cockpit then the rest.

You really can not go wrong with any of these boats listed. I would buy the best bang for the buck that you fall in love with during your search.