Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Image 38' Cat vs Fountain 38-42': Opinions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248961-image-38-cat-vs-fountain-38-42-opinions.html)

Wildman_grafix 03-09-2011 08:48 PM

How are the ocean express cats, they look like the have a lot of room.

And do the big pleasure versions really blow over that much anymore?

xwing 03-09-2011 08:48 PM

Marginmn: Yes, leaning toward the V bottom. I like to go fast but conservative on fast things as far as sneaking up on speed/power, but from other lives than Boating, I've a reasonable understanding of and respect for the mechanicals/engines and forces involved. I'm sure I'll have a good time with a nice fast V for a few years, then who knows after that...

Jamie B: Yes, this is Jack T/Xwing from 3000GT/Stealth Land (and now Nissan GTR Land too, previously/still Pontiac LOL)
You have a big 38 Cigarette?? MMmmmm WOW NICE! When is the "How Fast Will It Go Boat Party", I will spring for some gas! :)
94 VR4 engine=Merkel 3.5 stroker on engine stand; I have to degree the cams and some stuff, it needs to run soon, if it's not going 9's at almost 150 in street trim, I will be disappointed!

Baja55: Thanks, how much weight/speed penalty to those bigger seating boats? Just seems all else equal, why NOT get a couple extra seats/room in cockpit?

Back4More: Didn't look yet at dealers, been WebShopping, but looks like Shogren Performance Marine in IL has some, there's Shipyard Marine up in Green Bay...

Jamie B. 03-09-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by xwing (Post 3346666)

Jamie B: Yes, this is Jack T/Xwing from 3000GT/Stealth Land (and now Nissan GTR Land too, previously/still Pontiac LOL)
You have a big 38 Cigarette?? MMmmmm WOW NICE! When is the "How Fast Will It Go Boat Party", I will spring for some gas! :)
94 VR4 engine=Merkel 3.5 stroker on engine stand; I have to degree the cams and some stuff, it needs to run soon, if it's not going 9's at almost 150 in street trim, I will be disappointed!

Good to see you here Jack.
Mines not that fast by todays standards ( low 90's ) but she runs good for a flat bottom Cig. We should get together for some boating this summer for sure.

Regardless of what you get, realize also though that if you are going to need to/want to tow this new boat around some, a 1500 series pickup or a large SUV is not going to haul it properly, so a 2500/3500 series truck with a Class 5 hitch needs to be budgeted for also.

xwing 03-10-2011 07:26 AM

Jamie: 90mph is very fast still I'd say...
Have GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel truck "with a few mods" for towing already :) The Mitsubishi and Pontiac breakages necessitated tow/trailer long ago LOL

Baja555 03-10-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3346665)

Oceans have a big cockpit and cabin...

Jamie B. 03-10-2011 09:06 AM

I just re-reviewed your criteria. It will be tough finding a clean clean 2000 or newer 38ft or bigger boat that runs 80plus mph for under 100k.

In general, I think looking hard at 38 Fountains will get you closest to that criteria and will be your best "bang for the buck". A 42, even better. If you look at any locally and want some guidance or someone to go with you, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Baja555 03-10-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3346665)

Ocean Expresses are big.. I personally dont think they are a great handling cat...today's big cats aren't blowing over. you are more likely to spin or roll over..