Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Removing painted name from boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248974-removing-painted-name-boat.html)

shekmark 03-07-2011 07:52 PM

Removing painted name from boat

Can anyone tell me how to remove the painted on name on the stern of my Formula? Thanks

jayboat 03-07-2011 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Easy Off Oven Cleaner and a plastic pot scrubber.

Spray on the cleaner and let it sit for 10-15 mins. The pot scrubber will help break up the paint (small circular motion). Wipe off with paper towels- don't wet the area until you are ready for a final rinse. Be careful not to let the stuff run down on any stripes or other paint. If the paint is real thick you may have to repeat the process a couple times.

If it discolors the gelcoat (sometimes turns it a yellowish tint)- put some bleach on a rag and wipe it.

Here's a job in progress.

flat rate 03-07-2011 08:46 PM

X2 on the easy off

delsol 03-08-2011 07:12 AM

be sure to wear rubber gloves while doing this -- a buddy had black finger nails for a long time because he went bare:lolhit:

monstaaa 03-09-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3344792)
Easy Off Oven Cleaner and a plastic pot scrubber.

Spray on the cleaner and let it sit for 10-15 mins. The pot scrubber will help break up the paint (small circular motion). Wipe off with paper towels- don't wet the area until you are ready for a final rinse. Be careful not to let the stuff run down on any stripes or other paint. If the paint is real thick you may have to repeat the process a couple times.

If it discolors the gelcoat (sometimes turns it a yellowish tint)- put some bleach on a rag and wipe it.

Here's a job in progress.

ding ding ding,,,, and nice avatar brother,

LapseofReason 03-09-2011 07:45 AM

Depending how good of paint it is I have used carb cleaner, some comes off as easy as just cleaning bugs off. If the rest is gel it will be fine just spray it on a rag and wipe it off.

Rookie 03-09-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by shekmark (Post 3344740)
Can anyone tell me how to remove the painted on name on the stern of my Formula? Thanks

After reading this thread I decided to try the Easy Off oven cleaner (Heavy Duty MUST wear gloves!!) on my drives and heads last night. It worked good removing the spray bomb paint off of my heads, but it didn't touched the DuPont Chroma One paint on my drives. I let it sit for 15 mins and then worked it with a brush, applied more oven cleaner keeping it wet. I repeated this for about 45 mins and gave up.

So I guess it depends on the paint.

SpeedDoc 03-09-2011 04:22 PM

it works on 1 part enamel & Laquer, it won't touch Imron or AwlGrip.

srdrago 03-09-2011 04:27 PM

I have a 1985 blue formula with the name painted on the side, Im afraid that if I take the name off then the blue under the name would be darker than the blue on the boat. (because of years of sun and fading). Any suggestions?