Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ethics Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248980-ethics-question.html)

BraceYourself 03-07-2011 09:04 PM

The Person that borrowed it is trying to play in a league they can't afford. That's why it's a slippery slope when u loan something to someone. Its sad but the guy that would make the situation right is the same guy that wouldn't ask to borrow it in the first place.
As the prop turns...

Jupiter Sunsation 03-07-2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wild (Post 3344785)
OK here is the case

A well know out of state used boat sales company asks to borrow your tilt trailer (free of charge) for an upcoming event to show off a little, you hesitate but eventually say yes because you are a nice guy and think it would be cool. company takes trailer hauls it from MO to FL with boat on it and back empty.

So my question is, should i just bend over and pay for it or what, what would you do?

Randy I don't know you personally but I have never seen anything you have owned that wasn't perfect so I find it hard to believe that your tilt trailer was in bad shape.

No way should you be on the hook for anything and the trailer should be returned to you in the condition it was taken.

That dealer needs to do the right thing and fix it or atleast offer a $7500 rental fee!

KNOT-RIGHT 03-07-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 3344826)
The Person that borrowed it is trying to play in a league they can't afford. That's why it's a slippery slope when u loan something to someone. Its sad but the guy that would make the situation right is the same guy that wouldn't ask to borrow it in the first place.
As the prop turns...

Well Said!

"Same Out Same In"

Haley'sComet 03-07-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3344811)
I know if I had barrowed it the thing would be fixed on my dime. Was the bent fender from the axel breaking or hitting something? Is he saying that the axels were week or defective or something?

+1

I feel bad for you. I always cringe when someone asks to borrow my stuff if I don't know how they will react if they broke it...

It looks like you might be finding that out the hard way.

I do think if you named some names, you'd be surprised how fast you would be paid up!!

Wild 03-07-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3344828)
Randy I don't know you personally but I have never seen anything you have owned that wasn't perfect so I find it hard to believe that your tilt trailer was in bad shape.

No way should you be on the hook for anything and the trailer should be returned to you in the condition it was taken.

I am no Columbo but you have an MTI, your trailer therefore fits an MTI and there is only ONE out of state dealer that sells MTI's and would want to show off your trailer in Miami. That dealer needs to do the right thing and fix the trailer or atleast offer your $7500 for the rental fee! :D

has nothing to do with MTI factory or any MTI dealer

obnoxus 03-07-2011 09:28 PM

No good deed goed unpunished

Jupiter Sunsation 03-07-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wild (Post 3344842)
has nothing to do with MTI factory or any MTI dealer

10-4.......that leaves only one other person trying to sell a lot of cats.... :eek:

US1 Fountain 03-07-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wild (Post 3344785)
........ Trailer comes back with a flat spare and flat spot on the existing tire still on the trailer with a locked up break and a busted axle and a bent up fender. My guy hooks up to it, drives less than 100 miles and the axle and wheel come flying off.

Not quite following this part. Your guys towed it with a wheel locked up?

I understand it was a preexisting condition to when they took over. Why does the borrower claim they are only responsible for the wheel, but not the axle, brake repair and fender? Did the damage all occur because a wheel locked up, from faulty brakes or from the driver hitting an obsticle?

Wild 03-07-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3344861)
10-4.......that leaves only one other person trying to sell a lot of cats.... :eek:

they were not using it to sell a boat and it wasnt for the boat show

orthos1 03-07-2011 09:48 PM

This smells........... Sounds like the borrower is a JERK! Any insurance on the trailer? Maybe if he hit something it might be covered?