Notices

Ethics Question

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ethics Question

OK here is the case

A well know out of state used boat sales company asks to borrow your tilt trailer (free of charge) for an upcoming event to show off a little, you hesitate but eventually say yes because you are a nice guy and think it would be cool. company takes trailer hauls it from MO to FL with boat on it and back empty. Trailer comes back with a flat spare and flat spot on the existing tire still on the trailer with a locked up break and a busted axle and a bent up fender. My guy hooks up to it, drives less than 100 miles and the axle and wheel come flying off. Price to fix trailer is $7500. Company says they will pay for a new tire and thats it, its not their fault. WHAT

OK, i get it, maybe if i would have been hauling the boat the same thing would have happened, maybe not, how long did they pull the empty trailer with a locked up break? Who nows the real deal, i dont.

So my question is, should i just bend over and pay for it or what, what would you do?

Last edited by Wild; 03-07-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Sorry to hear this, Randy.

Name some names.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not yet, still giving him time to think about it and get all the facts from the haulers that drove the truck, but when i talked to him on the dock in miami he was quick to walk away
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
not yet, still giving him time to think about it and get all the facts from the haulers that drove the truck, but when i talked to him on the dock in miami he was quick to walk away

this is gunna be good
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know the old saying " nice guys finish last". It looks like this fits that criteria. I hope it all works out. Good luck.
Registered

The borrower should bring it back in the same or BETTER condition than when they took the trailer. If a person is not willing to accept the responsibility they shouldn't ask. However, your situation is probably the norm.
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know if I had barrowed it the thing would be fixed on my dime. Was the bent fender from the axel breaking or hitting something? Is he saying that the axels were week or defective or something?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Keep after them but don't get nasty until you have too.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

"So my question is, should i just bend over and pay for it or what, what would you do?"

Hell no!!!

I agree with mwinn1. Anytime i have borrowed anything I have returned it in the same or better condition. I have also been burned by people borrowing my stuff. Which, is why I no longer loan hardly anything to anyone, and I am more than a little hesitant to borrow anything.

The trailer was their responsibility while it was in there care and they should be responsible for any subsequent damages. Good Luck and if they don't make it right, screw em any and every way you can.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I would be pissed if someone borrowed a 100k trailer and it didn't come back in the same condition as when it left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.