Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Throttles off (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/249178-throttles-off.html)

nkosi 03-11-2011 10:06 AM

Throttles off

All of sudden my starboard throttle is running ahead of the other two meaning at the same throttle position the starboard engine is running at a high rpm (between 500 and 1,000 more). I dinged a prop about a week ago carelessly. A local machine shop straightened it out but didnt get it as perfect as it was before (props are lab finished). Could this be the problem? Or is it more likely a cable issue? Any guidance appreciated.

GLH 03-11-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by nkosi (Post 3347981)
All of sudden my starboard throttle is running ahead of the other two meaning at the same throttle position the starboard engine is running at a high rpm (between 500 and 1,000 more). I dinged a prop about a week ago carelessly. A local machine shop straightened it out but didnt get it as perfect as it was before (props are lab finished). Could this be the problem? Or is it more likely a cable issue? Any guidance appreciated.

Prop...

Too Stroked 03-11-2011 10:16 AM

Both damaging and improperly repairing a prop can lead to a change in RPM's. A 500-1000 RPM difference is pretty significant though. Did you possibly spin a hub too? That would make the one prop slip and maybe the other engine is just carrying the boat. Try running it with just the "damaged / repaired" side and see what happens.

SpeedDoc 03-11-2011 10:17 AM

It probably is the props, But you can check the adjustments at the helm and back on the motor. a wide open run (where you know both butterflys are open) would tell if it's props.

nkosi 03-11-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3347990)
Both damaging and improperly repairing a prop can lead to a change in RPM's. A 500-1000 RPM difference is pretty significant though. Did you possibly spin a hub too? That would make the one prop slip and maybe the other engine is just carrying the boat. Try running it with just the "damaged / repaired" side and see what happens.

Thanks for the input. I will try it this weekend. I don't think the prop is slipping because I can still use both engines to spin the boat at idle speed. I'll also double check the rpm difference, 500 - 1,000 was just a guestimate.

nkosi 03-18-2011 02:38 PM

I checked it this weekend with a mechanic friend on board and the throttles lined up fine...go figure. When I went out again it was slightly off but nothing I am too worried about. Prop hub is fine. . I'll probably send the one damaged and repaired prop to get refinished at some point. Thanks for all the input