Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Progressive Ins. wants to buy my boat??? >

Progressive Ins. wants to buy my boat???

Notices

Progressive Ins. wants to buy my boat???

Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is legit is the person making the claim have an "agreed value" policy much higher than what you are asking.Is he using you to try to get out of paying.Look you want x$ your boat was not worth x$ he is one just like it for x$.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance companies do find like kind vehicles for their insured. I believe it is called "substitution of collateral" and we have used it at work when we do not agree with the amount being offered in a total loss claim. The insurance company finds a vehicle with the same options, same engine, similar miles and provides it the us. But we are talking work trucks and vans, not boats. Isn't there a HIN inside on some boats?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that what they are going to do is find the insured a few boats like what he had. It is then up to the insured to either take the check and run or buy one of the other boats that they find.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Dont do the wire thing have them bring CASH and then we will see how serious they are. I one had check wired from a bank and I was there when they did it and there was a problem a few days later and they ripped the money out of my account. Was selling a car for my bro in law.....Took 1 week I had to go to his house with the flatbed and threaten him Bingo cash in hand.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
If it is legit is the person making the claim have an "agreed value" policy much higher than what you are asking.Is he using you to try to get out of paying.Look you want x$ your boat was not worth x$ he is one just like it for x$.
I was thinking the "agreed value" thing to. Use to know a guy that collected "collector cars". The kind you see in magazines. They were not insured for blue book value that was for sure. It is a little weird for an agent to call though. Those kind of agents usually have a broker find stuff like that.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Registered

One, he would need to acquire a survey on your boat first and foremost.

2nd, I just don't see it, if anything he might be trying something he saw on vehicle end and applying it to the boat side. Age of boat is along with HIN# sounds like it will not work even if they sign off at the 1st line, the 2nd line will probably kill it.

3rd and most important, I don't see them buying the boat, I see Progressive cutting him a check, then he can pay you.

Call the National Crime Insurance Bureau @ 847-544-7040 and give them the details and ask if they can give you an inside # to Progressive. Approach the NCIB that you believe it's a scam, they will definitely check it out.

good luck
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Registered

Said the same thing on your other thread.

Progressive will do some of the legwork to find a policy owner a 'like' boat when one is totalled.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Banned

Audio fin summed it up pretty well.... they will either offer the customer a choice of the boats they found and the price they can be bought for or a check for an equal amount.... it sounds as if the policy was an actual cash value policy and not an agreed value policy so they are most likely trying to establish the acv so they can settle the claim...
Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 AM
Registered

i had a broker call my shop to replace motorcycle that was 2 years old for a insurance company to replace a loss they had...its been a few years but i think if my memory is correct it was progressive also. the deal went smoothly for me
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Reguardless ...the bottom line is..do your homework because people are coming up with new ways to scam every day! Their even making exact replica ebay pages on ebay that are fake! Technology is great in the right hands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.