Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Run question for Lakeracer or other organizers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24940-poker-run-question-lakeracer-other-organizers.html)

dockrocker 05-22-2002 08:27 AM

Poker Run question for Lakeracer or other organizers

A question for any members who have organized a poker run. What is the average size boat used in an event like the AHBA Heat Wave or Smoke on the Water? I've read the threads and other articles about these events, and it seems they attract a fair share of "big iron" like that 46 Skater "Tomcat", etc, but do boats like that make up the majority?

We're thinking about buying a boat in the next year or two, and I'd like to be able to go on a few Poker Runs, but want to make sure that we have "enough boat". Not necessarily looking to be the fastest, but would like to be comfortable. Seems like every boat pictured in the magazines is 38' or better. Is this the standard for poker run boats?

Thanks,

DR

Mike C 05-22-2002 10:01 AM

Size doen't matter!

The average size from April's HeatWave was 29ft of 187 boats. Last fall the average size was around 26' of 149 boats. We have everything show up at the poker runs from 16' to 46'. It really comes down to your comfort level and the size of water you want to run in. The bigger boats make most of the photos because thats what helps sell the event for next year. Our article in Poker Runs America coming up should show a variety of participants.

Mike Campbell
AHBA Treasurer
HBR:D

liquidlocomotive 05-22-2002 10:03 AM

boat size

38' is a good size. But we have quite a few in the 28'. Most people realize they wont be able to run fast on rough water comfortably with a smaller hull. Next thing is the co-pilot's top gets jiggled off and then we all have to see that on the poker run video tape. Man this poker run thing is tough. When's the next one?:cool:

C_Spray 05-22-2002 11:04 AM

I've been to NJPPC Runs where the smallest boat was 13' (Sharkey!) and the biggest was a 50' Hustler. I believe that the 1000 Islands run has a 28' minimum, but it is usually a matter of your comfort level. It can get really, REALLY rough in the middle of the pack on the starts where everyone is digging a hole in the water and throwing up big wakes, so it might not be a bad idea to hang back for the first run or two. (Of course, the other alternative is to plant yourself on the hip of the Pace Boat and stay there no matter what...) Personally, I would recommend at least 26', if not 28' just for comfort. It also depends on how "seaworthy" your passengers are. If they have a bad ride, they might not show up again, and it's definitely more fun with a "crew" onboard. Show up, be safe, relax, enjoy the company, and have fun.

Mike C 05-22-2002 12:41 PM

Next One?

Shameless plug
July 27th, 2002
"That Dam Poker Run", Elephant Butte, New Mexico
$100 gets ya, one poker hand, two dinners, two t-shirts
Registration coming soon at www.americanhotboats.com and www.lakeracer.com

Mike Campbell
AHBA Treasurer - HBR:D

LakeRacer 05-22-2002 12:54 PM

Size

If you can get a 28 foot boat or similar size, I would say get it. Don't go any smaller. Even if you didn't do a poker run you will soon appreciate the size on your weekend romps to the lake. The ride will be better and you'll have more room.

It all depends on you. We had a couple of guys in our run dressed up as firemen, with small flags mounted on the engine...it was a flat-bottom! They hung in there with rest of them and did the whole run.

We offer three different starts based on the speed of the boats. In our runs, some people just want to kick back and cruise, so we let them in the 3rd start (slowest.). It's all about fun...you don't have to be the fastest or baddest. The real winners are those who go home with some extra cash in their pockets:D

SCOPEwebmaster 05-22-2002 02:23 PM

SCOPE Poker Run

Last year, we had 144 boats for our 9th open ocean poker run.

Average size: 34 feet

We'll try to get some more stats in the next day or so.

SCOPE
www.SCOPEinfo.com
:) :)