Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Class 1 Cat Complete, Outerlimits Eyes V-Bottom Kilo Record (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/249423-class-1-cat-complete-outerlimits-eyes-v-bottom-kilo-record.html)

Catastrophe 03-17-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by LAriverratt (Post 3352793)
I understand your point, but who is gonna do it then??? who has the $$$, shop, tooling, knowledge and drive to put it all together??? records are made to be broken.... how many boat sales do you think can be attributed to Reggie's record??? No way to know but I'd say a lot!!!! I don't think its a good idea for them both to be in the boat at the same time either. I'm not questioning your opinion just looking at the other side of the coin too...lol

I dont know how many boats they sell in a year but its hardly worth risking your life to sell 2-3 more.
Anyone on here with half a brain knows the setup and power isnt what is sold every day.

Think REWARD/RISK.

Re your comment about how many boats did Reggie sell by setting a record.......well Reggie is starting with a fresh slate now.....and what has he said will be in his lineup at the outset? Center Consoles.

This doesnt have to happen. Proves nothing.

OL is a great boat. Put a couple more cup holders in it, turn up the music and have a nice life.
Thats what counts.

174, 182, 191 ??? Who gives a phuck??

thisistank 03-17-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3352810)
I dont know how many boats they sell in a year but its hardly worth risking your life to sell 2-3 more.
Anyone on here with half a brain knows the setup and power isnt what is sold every day.

Think REWARD/RISK.

Re your comment about how many boats did Reggie sell by setting a record.......well Reggie is starting with a fresh slate now.....and what has he said will be in his lineup at the outset? Center Consoles.

This doesnt have to happen. Proves nothing.

OL is a great boat. Put a couple more cup holders in it, turn up the music and have a nice life.
Thats what counts.

174, 182, 191 ??? Who gives a phuck??

I completely understand and basically agree with your thought process here. But on the flip side of the coin - sometimes personal reward is worth the estimated risk involved. Many things in life that we do are inherently dangerous. With the proper training, experience and preparation, hopefully you lower that risk.

And as the great Fabio Buzzi once said:
"Records are the true marks for progress"

Catastrophe 03-17-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3352813)
I completely understand and basically agree with your thought process here. But on the flip side of the coin - sometimes personal reward is worth the estimated risk involved. Many things in life that we do are inherently dangerous. With the proper training, experience and preparation, hopefully you lower that risk.

And as the great Fabio Buzzi once said:
"Records are the true marks for progress"

I hear ya but in this case with so many people dependent on your health I repectfully disagree.
If the record is beaten by 1 or 2 mph , there will be 10 pages of how accurate the GPS was or tailwind.

Meaningless risk.

thisistank 03-17-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3352821)
If the record is beaten by 1 or 2 mph , there will be 10 pages of how accurate the GPS was or tailwind.

Hahaha! That's funny....And so true.:drink:

flat rate 03-17-2011 05:08 PM

"Someone" 6 years ago did say "Someone needs to shut the old man up" and the old man said he was brining a cannon! We all saw who walked the walk and who talked the talk. I am looking forward to what the future will bring.

Matt Trulio 03-17-2011 07:27 PM

This has turned into an interesting discussion. Here's something else to ponder: Fountain lore—and I have a lot of respect for Mr. Fountain and the brand he created—has it that offshore racing victories were an important sales tool for the company. It's the "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" theory.

But I have always wondered if the sales numbers directly supported that notion. How many sales did offshore racing actually produce? I'm not talking perception, which we can all argue about until we run out of breath, but hard sales numbers? In other words, how many buyers walked into Fountain dealerships and said "I'm buying this boat because the brand wins offshore races?"

You can't tell me such things aren't trackable.

My theory, for what it's worth, is Fountains were sold on "speed," and that could have happened without offshore races or kilo records. The racing and all the rest ... you'd have to prove it to me, with hard numbers, that it actually sold boats. Again, it's one thing to say it with authority. It's another to prove it.

My take is that kilo runs and offshore race victories don't sell boats. They may contribute to their mystique. But direct sales? Again, show me.

I know a lot of Fountain owners. Not one has ever told me he bought his boat because Fountain holds a kilo record or Fountain boats have won a lot of offshore races. What I've heard consistently is that they are fast for the power and present good value in a production-built offshore boat.

I know quite a few Outerlimits owners as well. They tell me their boats are fast for the power and present good value in a custom-built offshore boat. None have ever mentioned Outerlimits' P1 championship or New York City Poker Run "kilo record."

So why bother? Bragging rights.

tylerjustinhunt 03-17-2011 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3352923)
This has turned into an interesting discussion. Here's something else to ponder: Fountain lore—and I have a lot of respect for Mr. Fountain and the brand he created—has it that offshore racing victories were an important sales tool for the company. It's the "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" theory.

But I have always wondered if the sales numbers directly supported that notion. How many sales did offshore racing actually produce? I'm not talking perception, which we can all argue about until we run out of breath, but hard sales numbers? In other words, how many buyers walked into Fountain dealerships and said "I'm buying this boat because the brand wins offshore races?"

My theory, for what it's worth, is Fountains were sold on "speed," and that could have happened without offshore races or kilo records. The racing and all the rest ... you'd have to prove it to me, with hard numbers, that it actually sold boats. Again, it's one thing to say it with authority. It's another to prove it.

My take is that kilo runs and offshore race victories don't sell boats. They may contribute to their mystique. But direct sales? Again, show me.

I know a lot of Fountain owners. Not one has ever told me he bought his boat because Fountain holds a kilo record or Fountain boats have won a lot of offshore races. What I've heard consistently is that they are fast for the power and present good value in a production-built offshore boat.

I know quite a few Outerlimits owners as well. They tell me their boats are fast for the power and present good value in a custom-built offshore boat. None have ever mentioned Outerlimits' P1 championship or New York City Poker Run "kilo record."

Bragging Rights, and I think the mystique is what might have hyped the sales more than the winning offshore directly.

Smarty 03-17-2011 07:46 PM

Legacy --I made the fastest V-Bottom boat in the world, I drove the fastest V-Bottom boat in the world. That is pretty cool stuff. I am a risk taker and if I had the $$$$ I would love to attempt to set a world record on water (going fast). MT hit the nail on the head with his post above (two words), "Bragging Rights."

And Tank's quote 'as the great Fabio Buzzi once said:
"Records are the true marks for progress." ' Both quotes (from MT and Tank) sum it up for me. Good stuff. I wish I could be an active participant, and not a spectator.

Break the record!

DollaBill 03-17-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3352923)

Well, I have sold MANY Fountains. New and used. The "hype" is what causes the customer to walk in the showroom. And the "local, good old boy NC" aura (sp?) is what drives LOTS of buyers. Fountain owners and OL owners are a VERY diff breed.

Matt, you're correct. A great conversation...

caferacer 03-18-2011 08:29 AM

Why does a dog lick his balls??