Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Agreed. Plus they have Dan (not shown)!
Ha Ha!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ApachePete
Would somebody PLEASE take Reggie to a good barber?

Or even a bad one.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
OK Keep it hush hush!
Who's keeping it hush hush? What are you talking about?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I dont know how many boats they sell in a year but its hardly worth risking your life to sell 2-3 more.
Anyone on here with half a brain knows the setup and power isnt what is sold every day.

Think REWARD/RISK.

Re your comment about how many boats did Reggie sell by setting a record.......well Reggie is starting with a fresh slate now.....and what has he said will be in his lineup at the outset? Center Consoles.

This doesnt have to happen. Proves nothing.

OL is a great boat. Put a couple more cup holders in it, turn up the music and have a nice life.
Thats what counts.

174, 182, 191 ??? Who gives a phuck??
Technically we risk our lives just getting in the boat as people have died at 60mph.

Speed records are not just marketing gimmicks, the information attatined from such testing and motivation to be the best has helped make 160mph boats "average" and 100mph basically a family runabout. So while there is certain risk, there is also certain rewards. I've been in the boat at speeds of 160+ and had my eyes and hands on 2 laptops verifying the calibration, never missed a beat and never was worried. I've been in boats at 70mph where I had to pull the seat out of my ass I was so scared.

I for one think this is a great time to show engineering superiority and stop the naysayers that don't believe in the OL product.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
In other words, how many buyers walked into Fountain dealerships and said "I'm buying this boat because the brand wins offshore races?"

I know a lot of Fountain owners. Not one has ever told me he bought his boat because Fountain holds a kilo record or Fountain boats have won a lot of offshore races.
Me. I bought because of race results.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
This has turned into an interesting discussion. Here's something else to ponder: Fountain lore—and I have a lot of respect for Mr. Fountain and the brand he created—has it that offshore racing victories were an important sales tool for the company. It's the "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" theory.

But I have always wondered if the sales numbers directly supported that notion. How many sales did offshore racing actually produce? I'm not talking perception, which we can all argue about until we run out of breath, but hard sales numbers? In other words, how many buyers walked into Fountain dealerships and said "I'm buying this boat because the brand wins offshore races?"

You can't tell me such things aren't trackable.

My theory, for what it's worth, is Fountains were sold on "speed," and that could have happened without offshore races or kilo records. The racing and all the rest ... you'd have to prove it to me, with hard numbers, that it actually sold boats. Again, it's one thing to say it with authority. It's another to prove it.

My take is that kilo runs and offshore race victories don't sell boats. They may contribute to their mystique. But direct sales? Again, show me.

I know a lot of Fountain owners. Not one has ever told me he bought his boat because Fountain holds a kilo record or Fountain boats have won a lot of offshore races. What I've heard consistently is that they are fast for the power and present good value in a production-built offshore boat.

I know quite a few Outerlimits owners as well. They tell me their boats are fast for the power and present good value in a custom-built offshore boat. None have ever mentioned Outerlimits' P1 championship or New York City Poker Run "kilo record."

So why bother? Bragging rights.
Matt,

Its my belief that sales can only be measured in percantage over long periods of time and even then, its tough to track. I personally know OL sold boats from there success in P1 racing, as did Fountain. Those were direct, but the harder to measure factor is the perceived value as well as brand recognition. This is very hard to measure or track, but believe me, it has a huge importance on sales and brand loyalty. It worked on me with Honda, when McGrath was destroying everyone in Supercross, I went and bought a CR250 just like McGrath had. I bought because Honda was destroying everyone, but really, it was McGrath and the team, etc., not just Honda.

The more we hear and see "records" and "wins" and these boats at the lake, at poker runs, at the shows, etc. we remember that and "pick" favorites sometimes without really even knowing why. So I can say I'm a firm believer in winning on sunday, taking orders on monday.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Whippled, everyone I know also bought Honda CR250s for the same reason!

I'm into sport motorcycles as well, and I have owned nothing except Suzuki GSXR's over the years. This had allot to do with race results. How else do you know if you have the best piece of hardware? I know a ridiculous amount of people buy Hyabusas because they are the "fastest" stock motorcycle.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Should Be Exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! Ive Been Over 180 Lets See What 190 Is Like.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Technically we risk our lives just getting in the boat as people have died at 60mph.

Speed records are not just marketing gimmicks, the information attatined from such testing and motivation to be the best has helped make 160mph boats "average" and 100mph basically a family runabout. So while there is certain risk, there is also certain rewards. I've been in the boat at speeds of 160+ and had my eyes and hands on 2 laptops verifying the calibration, never missed a beat and never was worried. I've been in boats at 70mph where I had to pull the seat out of my ass I was so scared.

I for one think this is a great time to show engineering superiority and stop the naysayers that don't believe in the OL product.
I dont think anyone on here doesnt believe in the OL product. They make a great boat.

I've been in big water at speed with Mike and have zero negative feelings towards his ability whatsoever.He's a fabulous driver.

But bolting 3600 HP to a boat to attempt all this when you are the owner of a company whose employees depend on you is not smart.

I guess to finalize my position, the man and his company dont have to prove anything to anybody at the risk of hurting himself.

OL is at the top of their game and that should suffice.

This stunt doesnt have enough reward for the risk.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
It's not a stunt I think it's a record!
Point taken. Could have used record attempt.

Doesnt alter my thoughts but I hear ya.

I guess all I'm saying, it isnt the president of Smith and Wesson that puts an apple on his head to prove a point about how great their product is after having proved it for years.

Last edited by Catastrophe; 03-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.