Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sad day for Powerboat magazine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/249707-sad-day-powerboat-magazine.html)

Racegirl3 03-20-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3354996)
But I'll tell you what, bwidiving: I am sure a have couple of decent, mostly unworn shirts from Powerboat in my closet. Send me your name and address via private message and I'll see if I can find something I'm not ashamed of to send you.

Thats why we love ya Matt ...For the love of the sport
:kiss:

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-20-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3354975)
Good to see you back darlin'. :)

Perv :eek::picard1:

thirdchildhood 03-20-2011 08:27 PM

Matt is a hell of a guy and probably the brightest part of PowerBoat mag. This man really cares. Nice gesture Matt. I hope you don't get bombarded with requests for free shirts now though!

dykstra 03-20-2011 08:30 PM

I just resubscribed to Powerboat. I want it for the content. Who cares about the shirt! Rock on Matt, we love ya!!!!!

Dave

jayboat 03-20-2011 08:53 PM

Changing Of The Guard

Nice article, Matt.

I subscribe to the magazine because, like others here have said- we, who care about the sport, should support those who try to make it better. We would NOT be better off without PB.

That said, I think the writing is on the wall for print, especially news publications. Not anytime soon- but it's not that far down the road. Think about people under the age of 21... they don't know the feeling of reading a Sunday paper in bed with a cup of coffee and they don't care. Why? Because they've never done it to get used to it, that's why. They get their news on smartphones and ipads. One need look no further than how the music industry has been transformed in the last ten years.

The WSJ is currently trying to erect a paywall AGAIN on their website. Watch what happens to that $40mm dollar idea. The dinosaurs that run the place are in denial- still living in the coccoon of yesterday.

Progress, folks. Love it or hate it, it's coming.

Matt Trulio 03-20-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3355130)
Nice article, Matt.

I subscribe to the magazine because, like others here have said- we, who care about the sport, should support those who try to make it better. We would NOT be better off without PB.

That said, I think the writing is on the wall for print, especially news publications. Not anytime soon- but it's not that far down the road. Think about people under the age of 21... they don't know the feeling of reading a Sunday paper in bed with a cup of coffee and they don't care. Why? Because they've never done it to get used to it, that's why. They get their news on smartphones and ipads. One need look no further than how the music industry has been transformed in the last ten years.

The WSJ is currently trying to erect a paywall AGAIN on their website. Watch what happens to that $40mm dollar idea. The dinosaurs that run the place are in denial- still living in the coccoon of yesterday.

Progress, folks. Love it or hate it, it's coming.

Jay,

I agree 100 percent.

And pay walls have never flown.

Still, while information is "free" gathering it, as you know as a digital information gatherer (isn't that a fancy term for photographer?) is anything but. So any fabulous, information-rich site must have a revenue stream.

It isn't a pay wall. It isn't a subscription. It's advertising. And to that end, when was the last time you—any of you—actually clicked on an Internet ad. "Impressions" and "click-throughs" are two wildly different animals, and only the latter, in my view has any value.

So why don't people click on Internet ads? Two reasons: First, they simply don't have to. Online, the ad-saturated public gets a choice. Second, Internet ads are boring. Most lack anything resembling entertainment value. They are simply digital versions of print ads because most companies, like most magazines, don't understand the real-time, instant-gratification nature of the Internet space.

The good news? Great sites are coming. I promise.

Expensive Date 03-20-2011 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=Plumb_Gut_Phil;3354812]

My ex-wife used to work at Hot Boat, and she got canned

Just curious was her name Connie,talked to her at a poker run once.

87MagnumII 03-20-2011 09:58 PM

I feel powerboats pain. I just ordered a crap load of Tshirts to give to my customers at a pretty good price but none the less they still had a price. I'm gonna have to sell a quite a few ratchets and sockets to pay for them but it keeps the guys coming back. But when I can't afford the free goodies they understand and know if they hang with me and stay loyal I will do what I can for them as I can afford it. Powerboat is a great mag with or without the free crap.

Expensive Date 03-20-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII (Post 3355213)
I feel powerboats pain. I just ordered a crap load of Tshirts to give to my customers at a pretty good price but none the less they still had a price. I'm gonna have to sell a quite a few ratchets and sockets to pay for them but it keeps the guys coming back. But when I can't afford the free goodies they understand and know if they hang with me and stay loyal I will do what I can for them as I can afford it. Powerboat is a great mag with or without the free crap.

What I do when I give away clothing is give everyone a coupon.Good for a sweatshirt,t-shirt with your "next 100-200 dollar purchase.It keeps all the guys that never buy anything from being your new best friend when you walk into the shop with shirts.
You going to the ISN show in June?