Sad day for Powerboat magazine

Notices

Sad day for Powerboat magazine

Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
But I'll tell you what, bwidiving: I am sure a have couple of decent, mostly unworn shirts from Powerboat in my closet. Send me your name and address via private message and I'll see if I can find something I'm not ashamed of to send you.

Thats why we love ya Matt ...For the love of the sport
Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Good to see you back darlin'.
Perv
Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Matt is a hell of a guy and probably the brightest part of PowerBoat mag. This man really cares. Nice gesture Matt. I hope you don't get bombarded with requests for free shirts now though!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

I just resubscribed to Powerboat. I want it for the content. Who cares about the shirt! Rock on Matt, we love ya!!!!!

Dave
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Changing Of The Guard

Nice article, Matt.

I subscribe to the magazine because, like others here have said- we, who care about the sport, should support those who try to make it better. We would NOT be better off without PB.

That said, I think the writing is on the wall for print, especially news publications. Not anytime soon- but it's not that far down the road. Think about people under the age of 21... they don't know the feeling of reading a Sunday paper in bed with a cup of coffee and they don't care. Why? Because they've never done it to get used to it, that's why. They get their news on smartphones and ipads. One need look no further than how the music industry has been transformed in the last ten years.

The WSJ is currently trying to erect a paywall AGAIN on their website. Watch what happens to that $40mm dollar idea. The dinosaurs that run the place are in denial- still living in the coccoon of yesterday.

Progress, folks. Love it or hate it, it's coming.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Nice article, Matt.

I subscribe to the magazine because, like others here have said- we, who care about the sport, should support those who try to make it better. We would NOT be better off without PB.

That said, I think the writing is on the wall for print, especially news publications. Not anytime soon- but it's not that far down the road. Think about people under the age of 21... they don't know the feeling of reading a Sunday paper in bed with a cup of coffee and they don't care. Why? Because they've never done it to get used to it, that's why. They get their news on smartphones and ipads. One need look no further than how the music industry has been transformed in the last ten years.

The WSJ is currently trying to erect a paywall AGAIN on their website. Watch what happens to that $40mm dollar idea. The dinosaurs that run the place are in denial- still living in the coccoon of yesterday.

Progress, folks. Love it or hate it, it's coming.
Jay,

I agree 100 percent.

And pay walls have never flown.

Still, while information is "free" gathering it, as you know as a digital information gatherer (isn't that a fancy term for photographer?) is anything but. So any fabulous, information-rich site must have a revenue stream.

It isn't a pay wall. It isn't a subscription. It's advertising. And to that end, when was the last time you—any of you—actually clicked on an Internet ad. "Impressions" and "click-throughs" are two wildly different animals, and only the latter, in my view has any value.

So why don't people click on Internet ads? Two reasons: First, they simply don't have to. Online, the ad-saturated public gets a choice. Second, Internet ads are boring. Most lack anything resembling entertainment value. They are simply digital versions of print ads because most companies, like most magazines, don't understand the real-time, instant-gratification nature of the Internet space.

The good news? Great sites are coming. I promise.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Plumb_Gut_Phil;3354812]

My ex-wife used to work at Hot Boat, and she got canned

Just curious was her name Connie,talked to her at a poker run once.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel powerboats pain. I just ordered a crap load of Tshirts to give to my customers at a pretty good price but none the less they still had a price. I'm gonna have to sell a quite a few ratchets and sockets to pay for them but it keeps the guys coming back. But when I can't afford the free goodies they understand and know if they hang with me and stay loyal I will do what I can for them as I can afford it. Powerboat is a great mag with or without the free crap.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
I feel powerboats pain. I just ordered a crap load of Tshirts to give to my customers at a pretty good price but none the less they still had a price. I'm gonna have to sell a quite a few ratchets and sockets to pay for them but it keeps the guys coming back. But when I can't afford the free goodies they understand and know if they hang with me and stay loyal I will do what I can for them as I can afford it. Powerboat is a great mag with or without the free crap.

What I do when I give away clothing is give everyone a coupon.Good for a sweatshirt,t-shirt with your "next 100-200 dollar purchase.It keeps all the guys that never buy anything from being your new best friend when you walk into the shop with shirts.
You going to the ISN show in June?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Just curious was her name Connie,talked to her at a poker run once."

No, her name was/is Mindy. She worked on a number of LFP books, and loved Hot Boat. Should have stayed at Hustler I guess.

"when was the last time you—any of you—actually clicked on an Internet ad."

It happens a lot more often with social media marketing support. I'd bet that Young Performance Marine gets higher-than-average click through on this system despite being a tiny fractional that doesn't display all the time.

More and more companies get this, that internet marketing is not a "throw money at it" proposition. Not just Eddie Young and some others here but Fred Kiekhaefer at Mercury Racing, with his blog. It's time-consuming but it gets results. Too many advertisers try to get by on their ad agency's good looks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.