Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sad day for Powerboat magazine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/249707-sad-day-powerboat-magazine.html)

Baja_342 03-21-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by On Time (Post 3355619)
Like, guys, somebody's gotta say it. WHO is gonna sit in the can with a LAPTOP?!

I'm sitting on the can right now responding to this thread on my smart phone. Hold on, I have to wipe.....

Haley'sComet 03-21-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baja_302 (Post 3355631)
I'm sitting on the can right now responding to this thread on my smart phone. Hold on, I have to wipe.....

That could be considered as TMI...

:lolhit:

Expensive Date 03-21-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3355370)
Wah Wah Wah
Dude for a couple $3.99 T-shirts , Geez if you dont want to give your customers so shirts to promote your Biz so be it ... Powerboat will prevail and all Bullchit aside if the only reason you buy the mag is to get a free shirt you prolly dont need the mag and P.B. wont miss ya:eek: oh chit look at the time i have to go renew my OSO membership so i get a shirt :lolhit:

DUH DUH DUH, Go read my first post on this, and I meant that I had a higher profit margin then them.
And yes I could give out a shirt with every purchase and double my sales.But my collections would not follow the same %.That in the tool business is worse than not selling anything.

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-21-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by McGary911 (Post 3355559)
PB has been pretty generous with their shirts when they could afford to. In fact, if you've been around here for a bit, you may remember back in 2003, Powerboat decided to give away a free T shirt to the first 10 OSO folks that responded on the thread they posted. As you can imagine, they got their responses pretty quickly. A bunch of people just kept adding their names.

Well, I was #31 on the list....and was pleasantly surprised when I got a shirt in the mail. Turns out they saw the response, and decided to give out 100 instead of 10. I just wore it last week.

Still a subscriber too.

things like that is why they will be around a Looooooooooooong time my friend and folks remember it ...:ernaehrung004:

dammmagnum 03-21-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3355130)
Nice article, Matt.

I subscribe to the magazine because, like others here have said- we, who care about the sport, should support those who try to make it better. We would NOT be better off without PB.

That said, I think the writing is on the wall for print, especially news publications. Not anytime soon- but it's not that far down the road. Think about people under the age of 21... they don't know the feeling of reading a Sunday paper in bed with a cup of coffee and they don't care. Why? Because they've never done it to get used to it, that's why. They get their news on smartphones and ipads. One need look no further than how the music industry has been transformed in the last ten years.

The WSJ is currently trying to erect a paywall AGAIN on their website. Watch what happens to that $40mm dollar idea. The dinosaurs that run the place are in denial- still living in the coccoon of yesterday.

Progress, folks. Love it or hate it, it's coming.

Jay,

Thank you
I am the only one in my family that still buys and reads a Sunday newspaper, have all my life. sometimes the local sunday paper and some times even the NYTimes or Miami Herald, I remember when the Miami Herald had a classified ads section that was the place to find a high performance Sport boat, , now, the classified section in the Herald is lucky to have a handfull of power boats.
Now my 25 year old may pick up an Ad section to see what is for sale at Macy's or one of the Big $$ stores and that is it.

Things have changed

Thank you
jim

PhantomChaos 03-21-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bwdiving (Post 3354561)
One of my favorite things to do every couple years is to go to the Miami boat show. Talk to a few people, check out the boats, and stop every 50 yards or so to buy beer out of the ice barrels. But the big thing is to buy boat show magazine subscriptions, you know, 5yrs for a hundred bucks and a t-shirt or something like that. I'd hit all the usual players. Poker runs, hotboat and powerboat. This year when I ran across the powerboat booth I was sad. Where were the girls or the free t-shirts. As I looked over the cabinet like a little boy looking for candy I asked some old guy sitting on a stool, "where's the t-shirts? that's what I'm here for". The guy looks at me with a little tude and says "Those days are over!" Well, I said, So is my subscription. If Powerboat magazine can't swing giving me a t-shirt with my 3 or 5 yr subscription why bother. Teague on tech was the best thing in that book anyway.

Really? :bong::traurig001:

vtec 03-21-2011 09:53 PM

Who's cares about a T-shirt? WTF

Cash Bar 03-21-2011 10:31 PM

Sitting at Sunday breakfast reading the paper is a realxing start everytime. And I feel better afterwards.

Now, I also take the time to get quick updates VIA iPad(etc) from my USAtoday app and sunsentinel.com no matter where I am or how busy.

I can live with both, but can't live without one or the other.

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-22-2011 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vtec (Post 3356191)
Who's cares about a T-shirt? WTF

well if it makes you feel any worse my OFFSHORE ONLY T-shirt arrived in yesterdays mail ..:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004::boat: thanks Heather and the Subway & B.P. Gift Cards will be put to good use ..OSO ROCKS :D

Expensive Date 03-22-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3356392)
well if it makes you feel any worse my OFFSHORE ONLY T-shirt arrived in yesterdays mail ..:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004::boat: thanks Heather and the Subway & B.P. Gift Cards will be put to good use ..OSO ROCKS :D

Thats all they sent you I got a Leather Jacket and a $1000.00 visa gift card.