Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Found my first boat today. That brings back some cool memories. >

Found my first boat today. That brings back some cool memories.

Notices

Found my first boat today. That brings back some cool memories.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Great find,could you find Cardshark when you get a chance.
Not too many stolen Nor-tech's around here. Anything else

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Obviously cehck the hull for rot, possibly reinforce the transom if you will let your kids use it. Kids have a way of finding something's breaking point. (I sure did)
Absolutely. I know. The younger you are, the easier it is to break stuff. I will only buy it if it is sound and without rot. Hate for this boat to become a dissapointment.

Originally Posted by Audiofn
If you are going to have your kids drive it you may not want to put huge power on, especially if they are going to be taking out friends....
About big power. Well, the kids are not ours. What I meant is, they belongs to some of our friends. So we have to be the fun ones that lets them do things they are not allowed to do in their homes

No in all seriousness. The plan is to have adults go out with them in the boat. They have driven boats before with adults next to them, just not something beyond 25-30 mph. The girls are 10 year old twins, quite sensible, and the boys are 9 and 13 sooo, so no boating alone yet, especialy not with friends. I talked to a guy a few years ago, who had done something with a nut and bolt thing mounted near the throttle linkage. I did not see it, but when the bolt was screwed in place, it made a stop for the throttle and the engine would not go past a certain rpm. Could be worth looing into.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 03-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I can personally verify that Merc makes a 2.5 liter 200 HP V-6 and they run like a champ - even when modified. I might suggest that it's alot of power for kids though. My 18 year old son with lots of boating experience still isn't allowed to take mine out on his own. I would suggest maybe a 150 - 175 HP motor would be a great choice for the hull. Then again, what's the Capacity Plate and / or the manufacturer recommend?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I can personally verify that Merc makes a 2.5 liter 200 HP V-6 and they run like a champ - even when modified. I might suggest that it's alot of power for kids though. My 18 year old son with lots of boating experience still isn't allowed to take mine out on his own. I would suggest maybe a 150 - 175 HP motor would be a great choice for the hull. Then again, what's the Capacity Plate and / or the manufacturer recommend?
I think the recommended power was 115, but the 135 I had worked fine, but I always wanted more out of it. Very stable, and felt like it had a good deal more in it.

It is the 2,5 200 from around 98'-02' I have in mind.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor

What kind of speed did you see with the Bornett 17?
With the 200HP Merc I saw 68 MPH on the speedo running a 24" Chopper prop. (Friends speedo showed 70-72 MPH at the same speed so who knows what the actual speed was).

With the Yamaha 200 Pro-V I saw 120 km/t (74.5 MPH) consistently on the digital speedo running a 25" Pro prop from Yamaha.