Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality."

Notices

Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality."

Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by On Time
Since fiberglass doesn't really age, maybe somebody should start up a top quality reasonably priced rehab business for older boats that were well maintained. Just reserve the right to refuse service on the really bad ones.
You mean like restoring them?? Cool idea..

You may want to check out what I do...

Sorry for being a smart azz.. lol

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
You mean like restoring them?? Cool idea..

You may want to check out what I do...

Sorry for being a smart azz.. lol

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

u are a smart azz Jamie ,you aint sorry either with that Hot wife of yours you are forgiven
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
You get what you put in...Scott puts in 100%.
He will return your call or email the same day.

FYI, Sellers need to list the price. Any classified without a price means they are asking too much.
"Sellers need to list the price". I totally agree! I have to admit, if your to lazy to list the price, I'm too lazy to call.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Since fiberglass doesn't really age, maybe somebody should start up a top quality reasonably priced rehab business for older boats that were well maintained. Just reserve the right to refuse service on the really bad ones.
Yeah but that brings up another problem as in the restoration exceeds the value of the boat! If the values are dropping then even restored stuff is worth nothing. So compared to a new boat the restored boat will look like a steal but you could still get buried in it.

Ideally buy someone else's restored boat!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Supply ----- Demand

That's all it is in a free (relatively) market such as ours.

Prices "too high" or "too low" is all BS.

The market or approprite price for ANY item of any type at any given time does not care AT ALL about production cost, carrying or holding cost, or too much about your emotions. It is, simply,

"What a willing buyer pays a willing seller".

So if a business cannot turn a profit, they go out of business or change their methods, as the case may be. Since boat production is complex and expensive, many companies have gone out of business, downsized or merged. And when demand increases again some day, as it most certainly will, a lot of new companies, and maybe some familiar older names, will appear/reappear like magic.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Suppy and demand is a good argument but also note that demand is also "financed demand" so if there is no financing then that side of the equation is significantly reduced. I read another one of Shogren's blogs and he mentioned 97% of the deals he is doing are cash sales.

So the buyer sitting on a pile of cash is clearly in the driver's seat! It is not only the performance boat market, my brother in law is in the yacht business and the only deals getting done are cash deals. On a 4MM boat banks want 50% down with flawless credit AND solid annual income. If you have 5MM in the bank, 2MM to put down but no job you won't get financed. If you have 500K to put down, 2MM in annual income you won't get financed (on a 4MM boat). It really takes the wind out of the "sales" after the hoopla surrounding a boat show dies down.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
u are a smart azz Jamie ,you aint sorry either with that Hot wife of yours you are forgiven
You know me.. lol

Kristin said thanks..

Hope all is well with you & Pinky... J

Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No question used boats are going cheap if they go at all, except if bought from the dealer himself. I think most boat owners are fully aware that their values have been cut dramatically the last two years. But as new boat prices surged forward, I don't see anyone offering new boats at wholesale prices, not this year at least.

Bottom line is this. If you currently have a boat and need to sell it, you'll not get what you wish for. But if you go looking for used boats at a dealer, They will tell you all about NADA values and how much more a new one costs. One of the few times where supply of new boats has shrunk, the supply of used boats is plentiful, and the only real loser is the person that already has a a boat and wanted to sell.

The only trouble with the current market, is how to come up with new boaters that can afford to lose money in a sinking ship. No pun intended.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true. How many of us would love to buy a new boat but really just cannot. What helped build America, gentlemen, was INSTALLMENT BUYING. As long as loans will be difficult to get, boats will be difficult to buy. The last three boats I bought I financed myself against my own stock holdings. But how many others out there can do that? Loans were how the average guy was able to get a decent house, car, boat etc. for decades. But now its not just the "economy" but life in general that has changed radically. How many people today keep the SAME job for 5 years? My father worked for the same company for 30 years. Most of the older oil men and many other "company men" did the same. As on another thread regarding the health of print media, life is changing fast and it is not just economy related. We have an enormous number of undocumented people streaming into this country from many different countries and I don't see the banking industry loaning much money anytime soon to people who cannot be assured of the same or similiar job or address in 5 years or who don't have much personal collateral.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"With that said Scott probably needs to take some of his advice I check his website regularly and some of that stuff has been on there for years"

Those are brokerage boats...And yes the owners need to come to reality if they want them sold.

He won't let his inventory turn stagnant. Thats why you see ebay auctions from time to time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.