Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/249921-continuation-bobthebuilders-caribbean-adventure-feb-may-2011-a.html)

Catastrophe 03-27-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3360754)
If I am counting right, Team PREDATOR has been to or cruised the territorial waters of 16 countries in it's 3 years of existence.
That would be Canada, USA, Mexico, Cuba, Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, USVI, BVI, St Maarten, Antigua, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique and finally St Lucia.
We are just nicely getting started. LOL

Fixed that for ya bud.:lolhit: When ya comin home for a break, and where are you leaving the boat?

Bobthebuilder 03-27-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3360751)
How far have you travelled in this leg of the trip?
How many hours a day are you running?
Are you pre booked in all the hotels you have stayed at?
Is it easy to find fuel and docking at each island or do you have to wander around to find a place to dock each night?

Good questions, Alec

On this leg from BVI to St Lucia has been about 450 miles.

Time on the water varies of coarse with distance travelled and conditions. From BVI to St Maarten was 3 hrs; 4 hrs from there down to Antigua and yesterday was the longest ( but most amazing ) day on the water for about 5 1/ 2 hrs but had a couple of rest / lunch stops along the way.

I never pre book rooms as with boating you never know for sure where you will end up. LOL I always plan on going to a major port / marina and never have a problem getting a nice room. Ooopps, Hans and Marc might not agree with that statement as we spent a night sleeping on the boat in Highborne Cay, Bahamas that time we threw a prop blade. ( that was not a planned event :) ) I carry a cruising guide to all these destinations and they provide valuable info on any services needed.

Fuel is never a problem when you have a 400 mile range. Years ago there were quality control issues with fuel where there would be water in it which of coarse is a problem. The quality now is as good as what you would buy at home... or better. There are good facilities in many ports on all of the islands.

Airpacker 03-27-2011 08:22 AM

Wish I knew you were headed past Dominica Bob. I have a friend who lives there. He could have given you the guided tour.
You might remember him from the early poker run days. Has an outboard velocity called Thin Lizzie.

Scott B 03-27-2011 09:54 AM

How many hours on the engines these days Bob?

Bobthebuilder 03-27-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scott B (Post 3360896)
How many hours on the engines these days Bob?

Coming up on 500 hrs. I did manage to blow one up tho a month ago in FL. so dropped a new one in ( port side ) and still away ahead of the game.

Bobthebuilder 03-27-2011 07:33 PM

Pics from St Lucia Sunday March 27th

5 Attachment(s)
Pics 1 & 2 looking SW & NW from the beach at my hotel

Pic 3 more of St Lucia's beautiful coastline

Pics 4 & 5 Marigot Harbour, St Lucia.

Bobthebuilder 03-27-2011 07:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
1) Marigot Harbour

2) There was only this one tight slip available in Marigot Harbour where we had lunch. The owner of this yacht to my port side was screaming and yelling " You can't fit that thing in here !! " My response - " Just relax and watch ". He never said another word. LOL

3) Grand Peton's in the distance.

4) James went in for a swim at Teton's

5) Tonight's sunset just as we finished up our part day on the local waters.

redbud35 03-27-2011 07:45 PM

What a beautiful island. I went there with my first wife on our honeymoon.

tax man 03-27-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3361333)
Captions later or you can make them up until then ! LOL Going out for dinner.

Are those the twin Pitons? Keri and I enjoyed a few Pinton beers, actually not a bad beer.

Bobthebuilder 03-27-2011 09:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tax man (Post 3361344)
Are those the twin Pitons? Keri and I enjoyed a few Pinton beers, actually not a bad beer.

Yes Eric, Grand Peton's. They are quite a sight.

Bob