The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011 >

The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011

Notices

The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011

Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic, Bob! Such unbelievably beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing. Safe travels.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Thanks Johnny. I wrap up this part of the trip on Monday when I will fly home from St Lucia. I will return mid April for another 10 days and there is a good chance I will be back up in St Maarten in late April so if you are following you just might catch up w me on some island. Would be nice to meet.

Bob
That would be great Bob, if the timing works out.......we will be staying in St. Maarten but traveling to Anguilla and St. Barts.......I will be following your travels on this thread, I will be in touch.........good luck, safe travels and enjoy !!!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoy reading your post and the pictures are really nice. I am from Antigua, and I hope you have fun there. Be sure to check out the Nelson's Dock Yard/English Harbor region of the island. You'll miss Sailing Week by about a month.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by modvp
I really enjoy reading your post and the pictures are really nice. I am from Antigua, and I hope you have fun there. Be sure to check out the Nelson's Dock Yard/English Harbor region of the island. You'll miss Sailing Week by about a month.
Thank you, modvp. We set out for Antigua today about 1PM and turned back after just going 5 miles or so. The wind and seas had not settled down as forecast. Waves were 3 M and we were going straight into them so not a good ride. The forecast for Friday is much better so I decided to wait until then rather than get beat up again. We are going to be at the marina at Falmouth Harbour if you are near there and want to look us up Friday afternoon.
Bob
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default So Bob did u say u were going to Antigua or Anguilla today ? LOL

Well today was one of those days where your plans get changed but for a reason I guess. We set out for Antigua and we were not very far out when I knew it would not be a pleasant trip. The wind and seas had not settled down as forecast so I aborted todays attempt. It is 110 miles and we were going straight into 3 meter waves so I thought better to go tomorrow when the forecast calls for 1.5 M waves and a slight shift in wind direction.
Rather than have a lost day we grabbed a u turn and did some cool things. First we drifted off the end of the runway to watch and photograph the planes landing at SXM. There are beach bars close by where people sit and watch for hours and then there are those that hang onto the chain link fence while the blast of jets taking off lifts their feet off the ground while they cling to the fence. I had heard about it and had to see. Will be downloading pics later and see what we have worth posting.
From there we ran about 12 miles across to Anguilla and up the shoreline to check that out. Very beautiful beaches and water color there. From there, back across to the north coast of SXM and into Grand Case, St Martin ( french side ) and then make our way down and around the coast and back into Simpson Bay Marina. It turned out to be a great day after all, just not Antigua. We will try again tomorrow.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-sxm-1.jpg   The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-sxm-2.jpg   The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-sxm-3.jpg  

The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-sxm-4.jpg   The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-sxm-5.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 03-24-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You are right. That would be Ron Joyce. i think he takes the boat up to his place in Nova Scotia in the summer.
You are correct, he had it in toronto harbour for about two weeks last summer, and he has a "little" 63 fairlane that is docked behind me at ontario place.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered

Bob, I am sorry to hear that the seas were that rough. If you are going to be at Falmouth Harbour, be sure to go to the Catamaran Hotel and see Fiona Bailey, she is the owner of the small but tranquil hotel. The Bailey's are the proprietor of parts of Falmouth Harbour.

Bob, I live in Maryland...I will send you a PM.

Thank you, modvp. We set out for Antigua today about 1PM and turned back after just going 5 miles or so. The wind and seas had not settled down as forecast. Waves were 3 M and we were going straight into them so not a good ride. The forecast for Friday is much better so I decided to wait until then rather than get beat up again. We are going to be at the marina at Falmouth Harbour if you are near there and want to look us up Friday afternoon.
Bob
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by modvp
Bob, I am sorry to hear that the seas were that rough. If you are going to be at Falmouth Harbour, be sure to go to the Catamaran Hotel and see Fiona Bailey, she is the owner of the small but tranquil hotel. The Bailey's are the proprietor of parts of Falmouth Harbour.

Bob, I live in Maryland...I will send you a PM.
Got it. Thank you Avery. Very helpful and greatly appreciated. I hope we get to meet some day.
Bob
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Anguilla pics

A few pics of Anguilla just 12 miles +/- from St Maarten. Very beautiful waters, great diving and beaches. The last pic is St Martin as seen from Anguilla.
Attached Thumbnails The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-ang-1.jpg   The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-ang-2.jpg   The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-ang-4.jpg  

The Continuation of Bobthebuilder's Caribbean Adventure - Feb to May 2011-ang-5.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered

You're welcome! I will follow your progress and send my dad and Feona a message.

Got it. Thank you Avery. Very helpful and greatly appreciated. I hope we get to meet some day.
Bob

Last edited by modvp; 03-24-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.