Best 12 volt air compressor >

Best 12 volt air compressor

Notices

Best 12 volt air compressor

Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 12 volt air compressor

I am considering purchasing one of those all in one battery boosters with air compressor. Anyone have any experience with these? I was considering the wogan. I would like to be able to fill up a small dingy in a reasonable amount of time. That is the Most important, but a battery boost just in case would be a nice to have.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is that compressors are about pressure, not volume. I am not aware of any booster packs that include an inflator, which is what you need.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
The problem is that compressors are about pressure, not volume. I am not aware of any booster packs that include an inflator, which is what you need.
+1. i got a compressor thinking I was smart, just to fill up rafts and stuff at the sand bar. It's easier and faster to just blow them up like we used to.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the Airhead AHP-12hp pump, and recommend it. It's a bit noisy (screams), and you cannot use a cigarette lighter outlet (too much amperage), but it will inflate (and deflate!) way faster than anything else I've seen. I got mine at Cabela's, but I think Sears carries them as well. Roughly $55.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viaair is great stuff

http://www.viaircorp.com/

UD
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get an all-in-one battery box/compressor. If you want to go that route get a separate pump and battery box. Both are handy to have if you have large inflatables, but they don't make a high quality combo device. IMO the only good battery boxes are the Solar brand packs found here:

http://www.tooltopia.com/solar-es250...googlebase_18u

They are the same battery box carried by towing companies, and there is a reason for it. The charge indicators on these boxes ACTUALLY WORK (rare for the cheaper brands), and they put out enough amperage to compensate for a battery that has a dead cell in it. The $40-60 dollar Sears/Home Depot battery packs, in my experience, are complete junk.

When I had inflatables on my boat I had a device that I got from West Marine called a "Turbo pump." It was in inflater and deflater, and it would blow up an entire "fun island" in about 20 minutes. If you think it is easier to blow up one of those things by hand (or mouth), go for it, and tell me how it worked out for you next week...

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 03-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.