Manatee Zones don't work.....

Notices

Manatee Zones don't work.....

Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Angry Manatee Zones don't work.....

The latest manatee news... The state of Fl. and the $MC are in denial....

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110328/NEWS01/103280316/Manatee-slow-speed-zone-success-mixed?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|p
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing new... You know they don't really care about the animal it's just a vehicle to regulate all of us.

Funny thing is that the governing entities are realizing that it is a huge budget drain... And eventually they will diminish patrolling on a budget base only when tax payers handcuff them... That is our only slim hope.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by GLH
Nothing new... You know they don't really care about the animal it's just a vehicle to regulate all of us.

Funny thing is that the governing entities are realizing that it is a huge budget drain... And eventually they will diminish patrolling on a budget base only when tax payers handcuff them... That is our only slim hope.
G,
Interesting and spot on observation, in talking to a www.cffw.org board member the other day at Ski island, she said basically the same thing, and that was the point CFFW was going to start ATTACKING "In these tough budget times, how much $$ is the Gov't going to be able to spend on this crap"! If the average taxpayer had any idea how many $$ are being spent on this, they would have 2nd thoughts about this whole manatee issue..... I think anyway.
Dean
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The same old fuzzy logic.

Their own stats show that despite their intrusions into the world of boating, their laws have done nothing. Does that make them stop? Nope. They justify their continued defiance of logic by basically saying 'imagine how bad it would have been if .....'

Too many people involved that never want to admit they're wrong.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by VtSteve
The same old fuzzy logic.

Their own stats show that despite their intrusions into the world of boating, their laws have done nothing. Does that make them stop? Nope. They justify their continued defiance of logic by basically saying 'imagine how bad it would have been if .....'

Too many people involved that never want to admit they're wrong.
Vt,
Correct , the $MC has no logic, except to stay employed, and keep the Manatee propaganda machine rolling!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLH

You got that right.

There was a study done down here at a major university, regarding Manatees. The examined how Manatees and virtually all marine mammals navigate. The Manatee has extremely poor underwater vision, but excellent hearing (sonar), like most marine mammals. They went on to discover that a boat prop at idle speed, generates sound frequency's that Manatees do not hear until they are almost on top of them, but a boat prop at higher speed, generates sound frequency's that Manatees hear sometimes miles away.

Going at idle speed gives the Manatee a second or two to react and avoid your prop. Going faster gives the Manatee sometimes a minute or more to turn away and be far from your prop.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
You got that right.

There was a study done down here at a major university, regarding Manatees. The examined how Manatees and virtually all marine mammals navigate. The Manatee has extremely poor underwater vision, but excellent hearing (sonar), like most marine mammals. They went on to discover that a boat prop at idle speed, generates sound frequency's that Manatees do not hear until they are almost on top of them, but a boat prop at higher speed, generates sound frequency's that Manatees hear sometimes miles away.

Going at idle speed gives the Manatee a second or two to react and avoid your prop. Going faster gives the Manatee sometimes a minute or more to turn away and be far from your prop.

Frank,
the $MC calls that study, Junk Science, but it's a he!! of alot better than anything they have produced, which is NOTHING!!!
Dean
Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 178 Likes on 66 Posts

This whole thing is another great example of what happens when you puct the fox in charge of the hen house - then also give him control over the chicken satisfaction measure.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
This whole thing is another great example of what happens when you puct the fox in charge of the hen house - then also give him control over the chicken satisfaction measure.
I'm not quite following you..... but the bottom line is that the Manatees wouldn't be on the USFWS and FL state's radar if it wasn't for the $MC!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit one last year going less than 25 in the zone doing about 15 mph. (I didnt report it because I dont believe theres a good samaritan certificate for following the laws) but im sure they would have found something to fine me for..
It cost me $2000 to repair my lower unit. I bet if I was plained out doing 35-40 on top of the water it would not of happened.

Are they even native to Florida?? They should protect the wild Iguanas next. Set road speed limits to 25 mph and see how that goes over in Lauderdale/Miami.

Last edited by Sheer Insanity; 03-28-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.