Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How can I clean up superchagers??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250182-how-can-i-clean-up-superchagers.html)

tommyvt59 03-27-2011 05:58 AM

How can I clean up superchagers???

1 Attachment(s)
any one have suggestions Im thinking beadblast or wire brush then hand polish or brakekleen any help before I mess them up thanx Tommy

TURBO JET 03-27-2011 07:27 AM

Try wet sanding it then buff with some rouge. Go to eastwood.com

lucky strike 03-27-2011 11:51 AM

Never Dull

Griff 03-27-2011 12:20 PM

That super charger was never a polished version and that is pretty much the way it will look unless you have it completely polished out.

Coolerman 03-27-2011 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What type of "clean up" are you looking for? If you want a light polish, here are a few steps. It'd probably take 4hrs or so.
-Sisal wheel (sharp cut wheel) and a 240/300 greasless compound
-Sisal Wheel and a sharp cut compound.
-Spiral sewn wheel (med cut wheel) with tripoli compound (med cut compound)
-Loose wheel (not sewn, finishing cut) with soft cut compound.

There is also a recommended RMP that you spin the wheels at. My personal preference is to spin them a bit faster and use a little less pressure if you are using your buffs in a 6" grinder. You have to make sure not to let the wheel catch on anything though.

Also, a wire wheel will put some scratches in the surface that are a pain to take out in later finishing steps of the polish.

Beware, it is not a fun process!

Here is a pic of an intercooler I just polished using a little more in depth process.

ozarkdevil 03-27-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by tommyvt59 (Post 3360730)
any one have suggestions Im thinking beadblast or wire brush then hand polish or brakekleen any help before I mess them up thanx Tommy

Yeah, take it to Coolerman......:drink:

Coolerman 03-27-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ozarkdevil (Post 3361070)
Yeah, take it to Coolerman......:drink:

Ha, polishing shops make me really nervous......

tommyvt59 03-27-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Coolerman (Post 3361063)
What type of "clean up" are you looking for? If you want a light polish, here are a few steps. It'd probably take 4hrs or so.

There is also a recommended RMP that you spin the wheels at. My personal preference is to spin them a bit faster and use a little pressure if you using your buffs in a 6" grinder. You have to make sure not to let the wheel catch on anything though.

Also, a wire wheel will put some scratches in the surface that are a pain to take out in later finishing steps of the polish.

Here is a pic of an intercooler I just polished using a little more in depth process.

WOW thats what im looking for looks sweet!!!!

wjb21ndtown 03-27-2011 03:04 PM

+1 there

Whatever you do, don't take a wire wheel to it, you won't be happy.

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-27-2011 03:16 PM

There is also a recommended RMP that you spin the wheels at. My personal preference is to spin them a bit faster and use a little pressure if you using your buffs in a 6" grinder. You have to make sure not to let the wheel catch on anything though.

u need to stop by the shop , i have some polishing waiting for you since your so good at it .:lolhit::drink: